• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Goemon:
Before you get your matches out, it's not just Family Mart; it's for sale at alot of conbini (and Amazon ).
yeah, I saw that and wondered why just family mart?

Nothing shocks me here any more.

i donno, that sounds like a pretty haphazardly chosen name. I`m guessing whoever picked the name was not a native english speaker.

But the real thing that worries me is how blatantly racist crap is so openly disributed through major chains, is there no kinda filter for that stuff?

Quote:
Who would buy such a thing?
I clicked on the 'customers who bought this product also bought...' link in Amazon, and the results were all study books for the Japanese test for foreigners, so it seems like they're targeting the foreign market in Japan. eek.gif
Click 'see larger image'. I hope none of those Gaijin are SJ members!

I am going to start with the crap old defense of Rap music.

The thing is, for Americans and Europeans, you have a choice to listen to songs about one nigger killing another. Corporate brands and Advertising wont use such lyrics, but in Japan its abundant.

When my mother visited Japan, we went to the Adidas shop in Harajuku, I was pretty shocked at the songs being played over the intercom. the choice of listening was taken away from us. Its not like when I buy a 50cent cd then I am condoning the use of nigger only between black people and all the rhetoric.

I can't then blame Japanese for using the word nigger when it is prevalent in the media they are subjected to. Boycott America for exporting that media.

Japanese generaly a frightened of black people. Maybe its the image that is exported, but also Japanese can't tell the difference from a Black person working as a scout bothering them (and me to an extent) in Kabukicho and a business man over here on holidays.

Saying all that I was accosted by a British guy in Kabukicho (Donki is near my house and actually I walk up the golden gai) and I told him that all he is doing is reinforcing a bad stereotype and even extending its reach, he gave up quickly asking me to go to his club), I have no issue personally with people working in the sex industry, I wish more people would :p but how many times do I have to refuse?

In the end some stereotypes are inescapable, try getting me to stop eating potatoes.

I can't figure out whether that mag is evil or just comical. The thing is, over-the-top extreme stuff like that can be effective when the Government and overall tone is conservative and insular -- because it distracts people from right wing crap that the mainstream politicians are spouting, making them seem much more 'Center'. People like Ibuki, the minister of 'MEXT' (which stands for 'Ministry of Education Xenophobia and Technology' I think) don't seem so nationalistic anymore when there's something else to complain about.

Anyway, I still want to clip one of those cartoon gaijin on the cover out and use it for my alvatar.

>Japanese generaly a frightened of black people. Maybe its the image that is exported, but also Japanese can't tell the difference from a Black person working as a scout bothering them (and me to an extent) in Kabukicho and a business man over here on holidays

I'm not black so I cant give a first hand account but for my black friends who live in Fukuoka, Hiroshima, Kansai, and Tokyo, they make off with the women like theyre in a candy store... eek.gif ;\)

Probably a more day-to-day account would/might be different. I would've thought that with hip-hop being so mainstream that its all good.

I imagine that black people stick out more than white people and are fewer in number (comparatively) as well...regardless, I've never seen or been in a bad situation with my mates..have only benefited \:D

Quote:
I effectively boycott Family Mart anyway due to their crimes against deliciousness.
:lol

Quote:
But the real thing that worries me is how blatantly racist crap is so openly disributed through major chains, is there no kinda filter for that stuff?
Where is the line drawn? What about freedom of speech.

(Just what some people would say......)

Creek Boy it depends on the generation to an extent.

My boss was shocked because his son would talk to a black guy and "not see his colour", my boss probably wouldn't hire a black person, but hires a lot of Indians because the stereotype is that the work hard. ( I can tell you first hand that, that stereotype is not true)

A generalization, ` women tend to go for the rough guy` maybe that is what a black person is seen as. It depends on the kind of girls also, yamanba love black people. Though not many people love yamanba.

Not wanting to stereotype either of course, but the Indians that I have worked with in the past have worked very hard - and have been very talented - but there's not the "need to look like your working hard" thing going on. They did things in their own time but it always got done and was done to a high standard.

Quote:
Originally posted by charlotte:
Where is the line drawn? What about freedom of speech.

(Just what some people would say......)
freedom of speech does not warrant you the right to incite acts of hate.
 Quote:
acts of hate
Seems like that's what it's about. Would the equivalent be legal in our own countries? Maybe not. Does that mean Japanese value or benefit from 'freedom of speech' more than many of us? I wouldn't think so.