Someone just stole 40000 yen from me

Well, last month. On my visa card bill today there's an entry for something I have no idea about - never even heard of the name on the bill and certainly never bought anything - for just under 40,000 yen. So I phone up Visa, seems the only way to go about it is to get a new visa card number and then reclaim the 40,000 yen which I might get back in 3 or 4 months.

I'm really not happy. Any experiences like this?

mad.gif

nope. That sucks. Snotboy (of best funny photo from last season fame) had someone steal his credit card on his honeymoon in Fiji, then run up 5000 bucks on it at a local hardware store! lol.gif Got it all back, but must have put a damper on his honeymoon!

It has happened to me before. Some place I never heard of taking 15000 yen. I got the money back but Visa also told me to cancel the card and it took a few months to get the cash back. Very annoying.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hokkaidough:
Thing is I still have my card, it was never stolen. "An online transaction", apparently.
Not necessarily. Skimming is huge in Japan with card readers being sold openly on the streets of Akihabara.

Here, you don't know if you've been pickpocketed, cuz they put it back after they've skimmed your card info.

Don't worry.. My wife got done for a lot lot more than that

the stoopid cards allow you to take up to double the account balance in a loan.

didn't get a cent back and had to pay the extra that was taken mad.gif

Hokkaidough

Actually a hosting server in the states charged me an annual fee even after I had given them a warning not to renew the contract 1 month prior.

I claimed them and they got it back to my account. But it happened again next year as well. Again I claimed them asking why that kind of silly thing happened again. They told me that they forgot to cancel my account. Lazy!

I phoned Visa and their advice was to change my credit card number by canceling the old one and I did it. Tiny yen needed for it.

And from a different point of view as a merchant with a marchant credit card account, sometimes your bank seem to mistake some. We have had this case once - Someone who stayed in our place e-mailed me to ask why we charged the person twice. I got lost what the person asked. The amount seemed to appear twice in the bank note of the person. I checked all the records and surely we just did charge the person once. Also I phoned my credit card company to ask them to check the record and they told me it was charged once. I replied the person we charged just once and checked it by refering our credit card company. Then the person seemed to ask what was going on at the bank. The person e-mailed us that the problem was solved with the bank - means maybe the bank mistook some?

wakaranai.gif

I used to buy stuff freely online with credit card but since working on websites using credit card transactions Ive realised security really isnt that great. I still buy stuff online but only from big sites now that are more likely to have decent security in place for their data records. You can never be totally safe buying online though if they store your credit card details on their server - better to enter it every time.

Quote:
Originally posted by big-will:
Is it a big hassle and fight getting it back or are they quite good about that?
In my case when the hosting server company did that, I knew they did it. So it was not so hard except the language barrier and time difference. But in Hokkaidough's case, I think he doesn't know who the other is. So he doesn't know whom he should claim. It must be in Kaos rather than hassle, I guess.

\:\(

Happened to me, luckily less than a man. It was a real pain though having to change things with my monthly payments, not to mention the anger at being robbed and having to wait to get your own money back.

I have also got a charge on my cc this month that I know nothing about and the online online purchase I made was amazon.com and I (think I) trust them. It's all very unsettling. Like someone mentioned they said I am going to have to pay it (7500 yen) and then claim it back. I don't understand why they don't know more about the people who are taking the money in the first place and they can't investigate more than they apparently do.