Just had the cleaners come into the office to polish the leaves / wipe the dust off the plants in the office...

Had a good laugh, but it also got me thinking about all those 'only in Japan' jobs - the elevator ladies, cleaners coming into the loos halfway thru the business (can only comment on the male loos here btw), the 'hai douzo' roadworkers with their orange batons that wave you thru the most obvious pathways around road construction areas..

What are some other 'only in Japan' jobs you've seen??

The leaf-polishing crew isn't Japan-only. We had that in my L.A. high-rise office back in the 90s. You rent the plants, they come around in purple polo shirts and water/polish them regularly. They also have small snips and trim the dead leaves.

My idea of Japan-only jobs is the one I've had here for a decade. When I returned to Michigan, vowing never to come back to Japan, I couldn't find squat to do. Nobody would hire me. I ran out of money in 2 years, then came back here again as Mr. Employable and here I am making a great salary. Weird.

I wonder if the construction companies get some money from the government for employing those people? Or there is a law forcing them to be there?

Otherwise there is no-way they would be doing that. Maybe one or two managers are that dumb but I cant believe that every construction manager in the country is that stupid to throw money away on nothing.

I'd be quite interested to find out what this law/compensation is.

THe construction companies keep up Japan's artificially high employment figures (let's face it, this country is structurally ****ed, and if you fired all the useless employees, they'd have one of the worst unemployment rates in the world), and in return, the government butters them up by awarding them over-expensive and ultimately unnecessary public works projects. Corruption Japan-style.