Smart speech

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6306685.stm

Japan's health minister has referred to women as "birth-giving machines" in a speech to a local political meeting.

Hakuo Yanagisawa called for women to do their best to bear children in order to counter Japan's plummeting birth rate and rapidly ageing population.

"Because the number of birth-giving machines and devices is fixed, all we can ask for is for them to do their best per head," he said.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has pledged to bring in policies that will tackle the falling birth rate."

OOOHHH, Im just waiting to see what this policy looks like. I would have no problem helping fix Japans falling birth rate.

but on a serious note, it is important that the population is at a balance, but stating that women are "birth giving machines" just continues to make concrete evidence on telling women in Japan what their only purpose in live and Japan's society is. I believe that Japan is a bit more modernized and women are starting to see that they are as much as an important role in society then in prior decades. They are starting to realize on putting personal decisions as child bearing off till their professional careers are built. How a government will implement a plan is a very interesting topic.

f*cking increadible. well, not really. I just wish it was uncommon for people to hold those views here.

I would like to see Japan downsize a bit, but its happening so quickly its hard to adapt.

But reducing women to a biological function is pretty sexist.

Why doesn't he ask men to do their bit too? And describe how much joy he gets from playing with his kids and helping his missus. He could even put the boat out and castigate Japanese firms for not allowing willing dads to do so.

(Is "Japan women" BBC English?? \:\( )

I wish that too Oyuki kigan. One thing I really don't like is the personal questions about babies people seem to find it ok to ask here. Like those along the lines of "hey so why aren't you pregnant yet". They seem to take it for granted that I want 3, finish work and put on an apron. (As well as think it's ok to ask sometimes incredibly personal things).

"why don't they offer some cash incentives?"

I can't recall the specifics...but I think (at least) government workers get paid leave during and after pregnancy for like 3 years. The first year pays almost full salary and it drops lower each year after. Also, I think the woman's job is held for them for 3 years. Does anyone know the exact numbers?

IF this is the case, it might not be so bad to have some kids...

Frank, you could be a door-to-door salesman \:\)

"The guy apologized for that." --yep... and in the same speach --like he realized it was a dumb thing to say right away. Aparently the translation wasn't quite as blunt as that though either. Of course the media still jumped on it because it's ...a dumb thing to say.

By looking at the declining birth rate, these machines surely aren't performing upto Japanese standards :p

Japanese politicians still don't know how to interact with the media with any savvy (except for Koizumi), and they're often quite nearly dead which doesn't help with modernizing their brains. But Japan also doesn't have Sesami Street education. Things are gradually changing though.

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dogg:

I can't recall the specifics...but I think (at least) government workers get paid leave during and after pregnancy for like 3 years. The first year pays almost full salary and it drops lower each year after. Also, I think the woman's job is held for them for 3 years. Does anyone know the exact numbers?
IF this is the case, it might not be so bad to have some kids...

What country is that in? Surely not Japan. Most women I know that work and go back get a year max (sometimes 6 months eek.gif ) to get back to their jobs or they're gone.. and that's unpaid too.