had one, gave it away to a friend. Found a protec one for 5500 yen at alpen and am using that one now. I know not many j-peeps use them but i think it's good to have in all conditions but especially if u're gonna be riding the half-pipe. picture messing up 1 metre above the lip and then falling onto the hard ice tranny below u and i think u'll agree.

This is my first season with one. I like it. I don:t even notice the extra weight. It:s nice and warm. Kept me dry in rain. I:m sure it will have ample opps to protect my skull.

My wife, however, thinks the helmet feels too heavy and refuses to wear one.

I:m still not seeing many people wearing. More young people than old and way more boarders than skiers. My Japanese brother in law (skier) says it:s a snowboarder thing and skiers don:t look right with a helmet. OK. by the way, he wears tight yellow pants and an orange jacket. If it:s a matter of money I understand but my hunch is people feel stupid wearing a helmet. I don:t know why. If you want you can personalize it with stickers, etc, and It has always been my impression that helmet riders are probably out there trying new stuff and are likely to end up better riders. wakaranai.gif Anyhoo, I wear it so I don:t break my head. and I like it.

(I can:t find the appostrophe on this computer, had anyone noticed?)

I wear mine - have worn one from day 1. Its saved my head more than a few times - especially in the trees. The way I figure, I can afford to break a leg, arm etc but I can't afford to break my head. Death isn't something I want to deal with right now...

I don't even notice its there. Other bennies too - keeps my head warm, and gives me the confidence to push myself closer to the edge without having to worry about splitting my noggin open...

more comfortable than wearing a beanie!!!! \:D

also keeps the googles in place nicely... and of course, excellent for saving the noggin - having said that, doesn't stop you from getting the week long sore neck and headache after a major crash, but it would be worse without it, right?!

not so many people around with helmets here, some racers, little kids, me and my friends...

I've been wanting to get a helmet for a while, but everything I've tried, I've had problems getting goggles to fit properly. There always seems to be air coming in through the sides. Do I just have a wierd head, or have other people found this too? Tried a Boeri/Oakley Wisdom combo on the weekend. Still no luck... \:\(

you can find plastic goggle strap extensions that will help with the air coming in through the sides. Don't know what they are called though. Probably about 1000 - 2000 yen.

I ride with my helmet all the time now. Keeps me warm and protects my noggin from the falls. My advice, wear a helmet or you will indeed regret it. Being concussed is not fun...........

When i first started in Oz i caught the edge a few times on the snowboard and got serious goggle chucking whiplash a couple of times, a few other guys who were going hard were wearing them so i got an old school bmx style one for $50 bucks, i fit nice and looked good with the extra wide goggle for my glasses. I always ride with one nowdays and am using a salomon at the moment, like others are saying it keeps you warm, is light and when you fall you will be thankfull. I also have a burton skycap i only used a couple of time i want to sell because it's too big, pity because its a good helmet \:\(

Picked up a K2 ultramatic last weekend for 10,000. Not a bad price. Can't wait to try it out this weekend. The new look takes a bit of getting used to but I think it will make me feel a bit safer in the trees. And no frantic google retrival at the bottom of big one-makes after a crash while waiting to be mown down by the next ripper. Googles still seems to fit OK too as they have a long strap. Backside 3's here I come ;\)

I wouldn't wear a helmet if you think that it will allow you to go bigger or faster or whatever. If you can't do it without one, you shouldn't be doing it WITH one. That said, I wear a helmet not because I'm worried about me hurting myself (I do that anyways) but that I'm worried about all the other crazy people out there. If an accident is going to happen, it's not going to be my fault but at that point it isn't going to matter. I think you should wear one just because it's safe, and comfortable, and yes, I think it looks cool not to mention smart. But don't think you'll be any better with it. My 2cents...

If you like riding trees, a helmet is a must.... I had a nasty head-on with a tree in Oz last season, due to just one muffed turn, & I reckon I'd have cracked my skull open if I hadnt had my helmet on...you dont realise just how fast you are going until you smack into a few trees... I know 2 tree-huggin skiiers in Aomori who really should buy helmets! ;\)

Helmets are good for the trees. Knocked my head a few times on high speed traverses ducking under branches and whatnot.

What I think would be even better than a helmet though is Mountain Biking Body Armour like shoulder pads. Numerous times I have tried to squeeze through gaps in big trees. I'm always swearing loudly after that. That really hurts!

Teledude - I kinda disagree slightly - if you can't do it without a helmet, all the more reason to wear a helmet to protect yourself from the inevitable.

I will agree there are some folks who totally lack coordination and are probably better off as ski lift operators versus actually getting on the lift.

However, most folks are not born with the skill/knowledge to reach new heights - most folks have to actually go out and practice the skill and learn what to do, and what not to do.

It might take some folks one try, and others a hundred, but eventually, everyone but those who should focus on being a ski lift operator, will get it.

And, if wearing protection to keep the bumps and bruises down while they're learning helps, then I say, don't get off the slopes - keep on trying...but wear a helmet too

Ray, I'm all for helmets, I'm just saying that wearing one shouldn't give you any more courage that you think you are more invincible than you really are. It's a false sense of well being that I think can work against you. Oh and trees, yes, another good reason for wearing one. I've lost my share of hats (and the hair that went with them) in the trees.

Hi!

Wore my Giro Fuse for the first time this saturday.

Loved it! no problems with goggels. Nice and warm, not uncomfortable, rather the opposite.

My confidence used to be below my ability. Now it matches, and i had SO much fun (and no crashes)

Now i hust have to get used to having a big(ger) head when i get in and out of the gondola. \:\)

ATB

Thunder

had my first day out with the new helmet (Burton RED skycap), and it was pretty good. Didnt feel heavy at all and kept my head toasty (..in fact almost too hot while hiking). Great confidence booster.. Only drawback is that the earpads started to hurt my ears towards the end of the day, but with a little re-adjustment it was alright.

Yep, first day out with the K2 Ultramatic and I was so impressed. I forgot I had it on most of the day, so light comfortable and warm. Highly recommended. Now if only I could fix my painful boots........ \:\(