I agree with what CHEESE had to say. I've used a bunch of OS's (Amiga, MacOS, OSX, BeOS, WarpOS, Windows including Vista, IRIX, LINUX several, Digital UNIX, and etc.) Vista, while the best windows yet, is still full of security holes, bugs and the need to reinstall the OS and loose everything every 4 to 6 months is still the case.

I bought a Mac about a few months ago. The Mac Pro. A Quad core Xeon (2.66 x 4) Intel machine with a list price cheeper than any Winows or Linux box of the same spec, and am really loving it. Everything just works and it keeps working day-in and day-out as is the Mac way.

I'm soooo tired of windows and trying to get it to work! But then again I actually have to make whichever OS I'm on work for my Job. I mean I use it allot and need to depend on it.

So that rules out Microsoft products for me pretty much.

\:\(

Then you don't use windows as heavily as I do or as most people working on computers do. Microsoft itself admitts this in published doccuments and interviews. It's just a fact of using an OS that relies on a Registry and is as big as windows is.

Sure if you hardly ever install or uninstall anything and are narrowly purposed in your usage of the OS then you may not see this trouble. But that's a bit like parking you car in a garrage, and only turning it over for a few minutes a day - never taking it on the road and then saying that the car is so well made and trouble free.

Ummm...

:rolleyes:

I use a Windows Pc about 10 hours a day. I'd say that was fairly heavy usage compared to most people. I've never had to do a full reinstall due to.

It seems to me that anti-MS people seem to enjoy going ott on the exaggerations at the slightest provocation. ;\)

Tesselator are you sure you dont have any gripes about your mac? Especialy if you have Unix/BSD experience. I use almost every operating system at work, but any time I have to touch anything on our xserves I feel slightly uneasy, I never know if what I have done is actually committed. Yeah its easy to plug in a new Raid, but some things need to be hands on.

Quote:
Originally posted by klingon:
I use a Windows Pc about 10 hours a day. I'd say that was fairly heavy usage compared to most people. I've never had to do a full reinstall due to.

It seems to me that anti-MS people seem to enjoy going ott on the exaggerations at the slightest provocation. ;\)
Was that aimed at me? Hey, I'm not anti-MS. I have 6 MS boxes and only one Mac currently.

4 Dell Precision 650 dual Xeon
1 eMachine J4325
1 64bit ultra-spec game box
1 MacPro Dual 64bit Xeon dualcore (4cores total)

Oh, and the laptop I'm typing on right now is a Windows machine too. An enhanced Dell M90. So that's actually 7 to 1 Windows over Mac - hardly anti-ms.

wave.gif

I dunno maybe it's just the level of use or something but all my fiends in the CG industry say the same thing. When you 1st install windows it's nice and zippy... then little by little as you upgrade the 20 or so (very large!) packages that are used daily and apply all the service packs and security patches it starts to get dog slow. Microsoft says that they acknologe this trouble and reinstalling the OS is the answer.

My Ultra-spec game box is in need of such right now. After booting up (which is taking about 15min right now) clicking on an icon takes 20 to 40 seconds to highligh. Opening an application takes 1 to 2 min. and I know for sure that a reinstall will cure all this.

If you've never had that happen to you then I dunno what to say. Maybe you don't keep all your apps up to date - or maybe there aren't many apps that you have - or maybe you're just very lucky. I'm always hearing from my buddies in the CG industry stuff like: "I'm about due for a reinstall, this thing is starting to get sluggish".

Anyway the point was that Windows Vista still uses a Registry and will still have that trouble. But I suppose if you never had the problem before then you won't with Vista either. Shrug.
 Quote:
Originally posted by YellowSnow:
Tesselator are you sure you dont have any gripes about your mac? Especialy if you have Unix/BSD experience. I use almost every operating system at work, but any time I have to touch anything on our xserves I feel slightly uneasy, I never know if what I have done is actually committed. Yeah its easy to plug in a new Raid, but some things need to be hands on.
I don't have xservers but sure I have some compaints about my Mac. ;\)

It's more about Apple though than the MacOS (OSX). Apple has the worst Green rating of any other computer manufacturer! Greenpeace gives them a 2.3 out of 10 - basically an F lol.

The MacPro as well as just about EVERY other mac was tuned for quiet running and at the sacrifice of proper cooling! So the systems are running too hot for all of the 3rd party component manufacturers suggestions. In the mac pro the solution is as simple as installing a free "Fan Control" program but still that kinda sucks! Also every other Apple model except the MacPro is way way overpriced for what you get. Except for the MacPro you can always match Apple's spec and at nearly 1/2 the price - especially if you roll your own.

I also don't like that fact that you can't upgrade EFI or SMC if you boot from a RAID as I do.

I absolutely HATE what they consider to be a proper mouse driver! Man that thing sucks! I had to buy a shareware program called SteerMouse to get around the fact that the pointer movement was driving me nuts.

But the OS itself? In a workstation environment? Well, it's much more robust, stable and secure than MS products - on top of that it's actually a lot easier to use and set up at the same time. It's basically "Digital Unix" (aka DEC Unix) running "Finder" as it's "Window Manager" and with some really neat system additions and extensions. It kinda reminds me of a mature IRIX. But if you hate Finder you can replace it (unlike MS Windows), with other Window Managers. Additionally if you want to install Vista (or XP etc.) and delete all of the OSX files that's doable too. So you can install Windows (or replace OSX with Windows if you want) on a Mac but not the other way around - Although I hear-tell of a distro called Hackintosh that is supposed to do somethng like that - shrug.

I'm not a fan of any OS though. To me they are just tools. And each tool is better for one job or another. For example if I were running DB servers and etc. I would go with MS. If web servers, LINUX, If graphic editing (Video, still and w/wo Sound) OSX, etc. etc. IMO for a general "home PC" you almost can't beat mac though. We'll see how Vista is recieved in the comming months.
  • 1 month later...

So, now who in here are on Vista?

Any recommendations or opposite?

I hear Vista needs minimum 1GB memory, my laptop is just it. But if it says 1GB, I think I had better new 2GB one by past experiences.

I've got a new notebook with Vista on gamera. Had it a week now and I like it. No problems at all (yet, touch wood) to report.

It has 2GB memory, but I think the bare minimum is actually .5 GB. I would go with 2 though and that seems to be the concensus.

XP seems very bare now in comparison.

0.5 there (as in "half"), gamera-san \:\)

I read somewhere recently that anything more than 3GB would be a waste with todays processors that wouldn't be able to take advantage of it. (Or something).

Vista looks nice, totally overpriced though. If you get a new PC though....

Well I have spent time with it and I really like it. Still learning some things about it but generally there are lots of good improvements. I still haven't had any major issues either, so I'm glad I made the move.

Quote:
Originally posted by klingon:
0.5 there (as in "half"), gamera-san \:\)

I read somewhere recently that anything more than 3GB would be a waste with todays processors that wouldn't be able to take advantage of it. (Or something).

Vista looks nice, totally overpriced though. If you get a new PC though....
lol Thanks klingon. I think my old eyes didn't see the "point".
That happens a lot recently which I hate!!!!
\:\(

Someone at work has it and they said it was good apart from one rather annoying thing - no proper sound card support. A Creative one, but Windows keeps on giving an error when it starts up and Creative don't yet have a working driver going.

I have a new notebook with Vista on, one of the posher versions.

I like it.

No problems though you don't expect them with a new product, the only thing I notice is the computer seems to take a fair while to shut down - that doesn't bother me though.