OK a thread about it because I am interested and will eventually no doubt be using it. I'm finding lots of the news reports and issues more than a little confusing though. Already. How is Joe Public supposed to make a decision about this??

Whats all this about

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6286245.stm

"Microsoft has defended the digital rights management systems integrated into its new Vista operating system.

It follows reports that Vista would "downgrade" the quality of all video and audio, if they were not output via approved connections on the PC."

I'm looking forward to it being released and watching the news and hearing about all the issues. I'll only take the plunge when things have settled down.

I recently bought a new notebook and paid 3000 yen each for a Vista upgrade and Office 07 upgrade. I am told I should get them mid-February, so looking forward to that.

Seems that the dvd for vista will have ALL versions of it on there. What you install depends on the product key you have. So in my case I will have Vista Business. If I want to upgrade to Ultimate at any time I can simply buy a new key online and install it from the disc.

Vista? please!, dont be so eagre to rush out and buy copy just yet. 5 years 8000 people and 6 billion dollars and Microsoft and they churn out a much anticipated and already heavily criticized piece of software.

Quote:
Peter Gutmann, a computer science lecturer at Auckland University, set off a storm of debate on the Internet a few weeks ago with a paper claiming Microsoft's content protection features of Windows Vista made it "the longest suicide note in history".

He claimed it could be used to degrade performance in the playback of next-generation HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs if they were not output through approved connections on a computer.

He said Vista was "broken by design" and intentionally crippled the way it displayed video.

"The sheer obnoxiousness of Vista's content protection may end up being the biggest incentive to piracy yet created," he wrote.

slow, faulty, over protective, resource hogging, glitchy video playback, incedibly annoying pop ups, drivers missing, it goes on and on.

Stick with XP for at least a year, they have ironed out most of the bugs wth their SP2 edition and it works well enough

Wait until vista gets modified and they release a SP edition with the glitches get sorted out.

Well I am on Vista now.

It took a fair while to get it going but everything went fine. No install problems and no incompatabilities with the software I use (apart from one but I could download an update for that).

It looks much better than XP, I like it so far.

My PC seems to be slightly faster now than it was with XP. Certainly not slower.

Quote:
slow, faulty, over protective, resource hogging, glitchy video playback, incedibly annoying pop ups, drivers missing, it goes on and on.
Nope, don't see any of that lot.

I'll be installing Office 2007 by the end of the weekend \:\)

Ever so lovely.

Actually I am so glad I did this upgrade (esp. as it cost so little). Vista is a much nicer experience. I'm still finding things out about it, but I have had no bad experiences so far at all. \:\)

About the "jingle" - it's the same as what you hear when you go to the Vista website. My Japanese otaku friend bought Vista on the first day and showed me. The only problem he had was with some Soundblaster application.