Flight taxes -- out of control

OK today I called the No1 people to find out about a ticket to the UK in late March or April.

Here's the quote I got

Plane ticket: 69000 yen

Taxes: 40000 yen

TOTAL: 109000 yen

eek.gif eek.gif

(UK tax 17500 yen?!)

Wasn't that in Gordon Brown's last Budget? 40 quid rise, iirc.

I can't say I'm against environmental damage based taxation, but you have to question where that money ends up. In some Saudi's back pocket so he'll okay an arms deal, etc.

I also think its disingenuous for travel agents to quote prices like that with the tax separate. The equilavent would be for an offy to say beers are 150 yen plus tax or a filling station to say regular is 58 yen a litre plus tax.

As a travel agent we always know the taxes except for round the world tickets which you can approximate quite easily. It marginally changes due to currency fluctuations but not really much. The difficult thing with taxes is the taxes associated with each city and as of about 3 weeks ago there was an increase of 20quid for each departure from the UK due to security issues but that amountseems quite reasonable to me considering a return flight from Melbourne to Heathrow will be 608AUD in Tax

I don't get it, why don't they just raise the fare prices to include the fuel charge, sure make insurance separate if they want. But it's really getting crazy, surely it's not that high elsewhere? (she says hopefully)