After a good day bording, it was quite depressing to get off the Yamanote line at Meguro to see that the train in the opposite direction was stopped with a large crowd of spectators and some JR workers holding up a large tarp to hide a dead body. The windshield of the front of the train was shattered with blood stains, another suicide - death by Yamanote....

I'll never understand why Japanese salarymen throw themselves in front of trains like this.

It makes you stop and think - and appreciate all the wonderful things we have to live for...I hope that guy didn't have a wife and kids - but he probably did....

What a lousy way to end a day. Sorry to depress everyone. Life is short - get on the mountain, breathe that fresh air, make some turns - life is good....

-SJA

If you commit suicide like that in Japan, not only you mast hate yourself, but you must also hate the guts of your family too. The fines that the family has to pay after one of their members dives in front of a train start from 10,000,000 ¥ and can go up to 100,000,000 depending on how long the trains were stopped if it was on rush hour etc.

i think these types of suicides are a form of protest; a last attempt at shocking the waking dead out of their commas, or possibly an attempt at making the average citizen feel responsible for the individual in question's angst.

whether or not we should all feel partially responsible, it is still an awfully selfish thing to do.

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
If you commit suicide like that in Japan, not only you mast hate yourself, but you must also hate the guts of your family too. The fines that the family has to pay after one of their members dives in front of a train start from 10,000,000 ¥ and can go up to 100,000,000 depending on how long the trains were stopped if it was on rush hour etc.
I heard that if someone jumps in front of a JR train that the family doesn't have to pay. I heard that the fee only applies to private lines. But of course I may be wrong.

Whatever the case that is some heavy shit. I don't know what would go through my head after experiencing something like that. I often have to wait for trains that are delayed because of it, but never been so close. I guess it's just a matter of time riding the Yamanote daily.
 Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
From Wikipeadia:
'People who kill themselves by jumping in front of a train in Japan are often charged by the railway company for the cost of the delays and cleanup. Of course, with the person being dead, the money is deducted from the relatives' inheritance, often giving the impression that the relatives are being charged for the person's having died. This is also an attempt by the railway companies to reduce the number of suicides by train.'

'families being forced to pay' is not exactly right but it has certainly become Japan urban legend material...

I would also think it would not be a good deterrent if someone was jumping because they were upset with their family.

Jibs, I saw the same kind of thing at Meguro Station in March, 2004. I showed up around 10 am and noticed a couple of women lying on gurneys and blankets on the upper floor and there was a puddle of vomit next to one. I thought maybe they'd had food poisoning. Then I heard the announcements...

When I got down to the tracks, they were just backing the train up slowly from where the mess had been, so the crew could finish the cleanup. You could see where blood had jetted on the cement wall several meters behind the track, and, as I will never forget, some pieces of skin on the rails. You could see some hair on one side, and a kind of yellowish fat on the other, like what you see on a chicken breast before trimming it for cooking.

As far as I could tell, the person had gone under the wheels not too far from where the train would have been just about to stop. It isn't moving very fast then. It might have been very horrible to see, and I guess the ladies lying prone on the upper level had had front row views of this and decided to faint.

A horrible and violent way to go.

I've seen some pretty grusum accident scenes and even murder scenes, but the thought of someone voluntarily hurling themselves in front of a train in front of all those people and the poor conductor just makes you think - what could possibly drive a person to do that....

-SJA