There has just been an item on the news about those New Year bags that department stores sell at New Year, called "fukubukuro" it seems.

It showed all these people queueing and making in-depth strategies on how to get the most shopping done as the shops open. These things usually sell out in a matter of minutes.

But I don't understand these though - do they know the contents of these bags, and to what degree?

My wife buys those, but she isn't all into it.

She usually only buys one or so, she doesn't wake up early to get to the shop first or nothing like her sister.

It depends, Some of them you have no idea what so ever what's inside where others they will show you, or you can see through the bags a bit.

Alot of them are quite pricey, but you usually get double or more of the price in merchandise.

She got skunked last year.

She bought one from a shop that she like's, but didn't like anything that was inside.

Oh well she almost got her money back from Yahoo auctions by selling the items. I'd rather her buying those than blowing all our money in the Pachinko parlor or something. It is still a gamble.

Are they department specific or something? Like you know vaguely the kind of thing you'll get - right? (Like cosmetics, or womens clothes, etc)