Things to dislike about Apple

I keep on hearing so much never ending praise for most things Apple, and just wanted to hear some more realistic gripes.

Here's mine to start with.

The mouse(s). I just don't like it, however cool they look.

Any other gripes?

(I like Apple) but Mac people go on and on about how you can use windows stuff for macs too but Mac really seems to labour over windows software --even common things like MS word.

Plus... 'Limewire' is about as stable as a pregnant woman on a mechanical bull.

I hate apple. They are an evil company that kills innovation on thier platform and squeezes out developers. I'm not a big MS fan, but at least they don't try to kill innovation of 3rd parites. My Zune player rocks....bye bye ipod.

-SJA

Veronica,

Yes, I had a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen ipod as well as a nano. I've been looking for a replacement for my ipod for quite some time, but i'm not willing to sacrifice sound quality, ease of use, etc. The Zune player is the first one that really stacks up. The only complaint is that the largest size HDD is 30GB and it's slightly bigger than an ipod. But the positivies far outweight these 2 negatives.

The coolest feature is that it will automatically DL the album art for ALL SONGS in your library - not just the ones you paid for but the ones that you ripped off as well! If there is enough info in the metadata - it will pull down the correct Album art.

The second cool feature - it's screen is bigger and clearer than ipod's. You also don't need to use QT to watch your movies. Have something in wmv - it will playback - no problem. Have something in avi, qt, or other format? IT will transcode automatically. This is by far the most versatile video player currently on the market.

Third - it actually looks pretty cool. Other players were functional but looked like crap. Zune player has a decent look to it and comes in three colors. I went for black.

I don't think they are selling it in Japan yet, I bought mine on my last trip to the US $250.

-SJA

Quote:
Originally posted by ger:
(I like Apple) but Mac people go on and on about how you can use windows stuff for macs too but Mac really seems to labour over windows software --even common things like MS word.

Plus... 'Limewire' is about as stable as a pregnant woman on a mechanical bull.
MS word? I've never had a problem.

Limewire is crap but good for finding single songs, though it's for Apple, it's not by them right?

Their service is pretty bad (but has been ok lately)
I've had a few run ins with them, for faulty parts and they try to blame it back on the customer!

But seriously no gripes here. I'm a very happy user!
 Quote:
Originally posted by muikabochi:
Any other gripes?
The obvious one is how Apple products are presented as some form of self-expression or rebellion. That somehow people are more of an individual if they buy Apple instead of something else. This concept has been deliberately manufactured by marketing people and seems to have been swallowed whole by a sizable chunk of gullible users. Apple are not alone among corporate America in doing this, but it is something they in particular have revelled in. Just look at all that "think different" nonsense presented during the Superbowl, ironically the world's most expensive advertising slots that are beyond the reach of all but megaspenders. The notion that individuality lies in one's choice of consumer goods is simply false. It ultimately acts as a form of social control in encouraging people to place undue importance on trivial decisions in the supermarket instead of things that actually affect their lives.

I just got an ipod for chrissy, and I’m pretty happy bout that. This is my first mp3 player, so I’m not well placed to get into the whole “which mp3 player is best” argument.

I can’t believe that basic accessories are sold separately and don’t come as standard. The only charger it comes with is a usb one, and if you want a mains charger it costs about $50AUS. Ridiculous I say.

I like my MacBook well enough, but here are some things I dislike about Apple:

I don't like those little balls for closing and minimizing/maximizing apps.

I don't like how Safari fails to display some Internet pages correctly when IE or Firefox or Opera all work fine (including encoding errors).

I don't like iPhoto. I hate the way it wants to organize my pics into "rolls". I never thought of digital pics as "rolls" of film, it seems to me a stupid goof to help somebody like my Dad or Stepmom organize their pics. After using Picasa for a couple of days, I just don't want to bother with iPhoto so I leave all my pics on my Windows machine now.

I find iTunes to be somewhat clunky, slow and, well, gorpy. Watching videos in iTunes is lame, it really needs replacement. I also hate how I would have to upgrade to iTunes 7.02 (Windows version) if I want to buy video content from the iTunes store. Why? I could buy and view vid content before this version came out. Is it all about forcing customers to upgrade to the latest DRM? Or maybe the format of vid content in the iTunes store is no longer compatible with previous versions, such as 6? Seems odd to me. Why don't I upgrade to 7.02 for Windows? I've read way too many horror stories about how it loses parts of your library or chews up all your RAM and grinds to a halt or crash. I just can't be bothered. Not that I enjoyed watching poor-quality vids on my computer screen anyway.

And there is one particularly annoying Apple fanboy reaction that I often see on BBS comments: an OSX newbie or maybe former Windows user asks why you can't do something simple and basic (e.g., Apple mouse with right-clicker; close an open app completely with one click like clicking on the "X" in Windows, etc.)...and the answer is something like "What you are trying to do is wrong..." Yeah. Wrong. "Think different." How silly of me to expect that since right-click functionality is built into OSX, the mouse would have a right-click button. "Think different..." How silly of me to want to completely close an app with just one click.

The other thing I hate is the typical teenage Apple fanboy on some BBS posting something like "The reason Steve told them to make std. optical drive not burn DVDs was by choice, to increase customer options. What Steve will do next is adapt DVD burning functionality in a new way as this is by intention and Apple will overtake the market" or some such utter drivel. Fanboys who seem to think they are attuned to some special Appleness vibe and mix fact, fantasy and consumeristic idiocy into pathetic assertions dripping with butt-kissing and reflexive conformism.

Quote:
Originally posted by badmigraine:
I like my MacBook well enough, but here are some things I dislike about Apple:

I don't like how Safari fails to display some Internet pages correctly when IE or Firefox or Opera all work fine (including encoding errors).

I don't like iPhoto. I hate the way it wants to organize my pics into "rolls". I never thought of digital pics as "rolls" of film, it seems to me a stupid goof to help somebody like my Dad or Stepmom organize their pics. After using Picasa for a couple of days, I just don't want to bother with iPhoto so I leave all my pics on my Windows machine now.

I find iTunes to be somewhat clunky, slow and, well, gorpy. Watching videos in iTunes is lame, it really needs replacement. I also hate how I would have to upgrade to iTunes 7.02 (Windows version) if I want to buy video content from the iTunes store. Why? I could buy and view vid content before this version came out. Is it all about forcing customers to upgrade to the latest DRM? Or maybe the format of vid content in the iTunes store is no longer compatible with previous versions, such as 6? Seems odd to me. Why don't I upgrade to 7.02 for Windows? I've read way too many horror stories about how it loses parts of your library or chews up all your RAM and grinds to a halt or crash. I just can't be bothered. Not that I enjoyed watching poor-quality vids on my computer screen anyway.

And there is one particularly annoying Apple fanboy reaction that I often see on BBS comments: an OSX newbie or maybe former Windows user asks why you can't do something simple and basic (e.g., Apple mouse with right-clicker; close an open app completely with one click like clicking on the "X" in Windows, etc.)...and the answer is something like "What you are trying to do is wrong..." Yeah. Wrong. "Think different." How silly of me to expect that since right-click functionality is built into OSX, the mouse would have a right-click button. "Think different..." How silly of me to want to completely close an app with just one click.

The other thing I hate is the typical teenage Apple fanboy on some BBS posting something like "The reason Steve told them to make std. optical drive not burn DVDs was by choice, to increase customer options. What Steve will do next is adapt DVD burning functionality in a new way as this is by intention and Apple will overtake the market" or some such utter drivel. Fanboys who seem to think they are attuned to some special Appleness vibe and mix fact, fantasy and consumeristic idiocy into pathetic assertions dripping with butt-kissing and reflexive conformism.
Is that all?

This is the first decent computer I've owned. I've never owned a decent PC so It's hard to compare apples with apples (sorry)

My biggest gripe is the non compatibility with a lot of 'things'

ie. Stuff kids bring home from school, software that comes with new cameras, Mp3 players ect.

Quote:
Originally posted by badmigraine:

I don't like iPhoto. I hate the way it wants to organize my pics into "rolls".
Little balls? the rainbow color? if so, you need RAM

I find some things work with safari and some with firefox, I use firefox for most of the time but switch to safari for others

your point about iPhoto... yes! That pisses me off, infact until a certain update recently it was always arranged by dates which is the way to go in my opinion.. Why can't they have both options and let the user decide which they want?

But still it's all good!

from looking at dhe design and the features on that iphone, it makes all other phones look like designer errors.

that being said. iphone is a 2 generation phone (like europe's GSM) and not 3g like most of the japanese phones. and for 6man?!?!?!

anyway. i really dislike the general feeling i get when i want to costumize something in an apple computer. usually you get a system message like "Don't mess with this, i will take care of that, i know what is best for you"