Printer / scanner / copier - advice

Looking to get a new printer that can also scan and copy. Not interested in printing beautiful photos or anything like that but would like the functionality I just mentioned to be decent.

Anyone able to recommend any good models to me?

Thank you!

I've got the Canon MP770 ( 2 years old) I went for the 5 ink model to save on ink and also I don't print much color besides nengajo's. Copy works well and scans great too. Only trouble I had was when I put the recycled ink cartridges in.. stay away from them!

But I am sure anything canon is great..( I went from Epson as they sucked way way more ink)

I don't have any problem with HP. My all singing, all dancing printer/scanner/copier beer fridge/dog walker is fine. It's a total pain in the arse when the ink runs out on a Saturday evening when I'm preparing for a Sunday morning class.

Mine is a Canon and does all those things and I've never had any problems with it. I remember someone bragging about buying a printer for virtually nothing but finding out later that it ate ink cartridges for breakfast. Don't know the stats but it might be worth getting a semi-decent one to not get ripped off in the long run on ink. (Anyone?)

Canon Pixus MP810

Really like it. About 30,000 yen. (There's one that is a level down - MP600 - but still pretty good I belive for around 24,000 yen).

Great printing, scanning and copying. Can scan slides as well. It uses 5 ink cartidges (including 2 black ones which is interesting... confused.gif ) but generally big thumbs up from me. Very happy with it.

We also have recently got the new 600 canon and it seems really good. The last one we had was an cheap one from 3 years ago so this is a significant upgrade. I was actually really surprised at how inexpensive these all-in-one printers are.

A heads up for Epson as well - I'm quite happy with the one I have PM-A890, got it about a year ago I suppose. I don't use it that much so I'm not eating lots of ink cartidges and don't know how it compares with Canon and others.

All ink jets are a pain when it comes to ink refills. I had 2 Epsons and while the picture printing quality was great, the ink dries out quickly without regular use, the black only printing quality was so so, and you waste a ton of ink going thru the 'cleaning' cycle in order to get clear prnting.

I bought an HP earlier this year (multi-funtion) and I must say, i've been constantly impressed by this machine. The ink is perfect everytime (even when I don't use it for weeks and suddenly need a rush print job - it's perfect everytime.

Another cool feature is that you can pop in a black only cartridge for everyday printing, then when you want to do pictures or something that requires finer quality color, you can exchange the black for a black+2 color cartridge effectively giving you 6 pigment printing. Highly recommended!

-SJA

Curt,

Mine is the HP Photosmart 2570. Link below:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/...=reg_R1002_USEN

It can connect via Ethernet and has a built in print server (handy if you use wireless with multiple machines that need to share the printer). It also has a multi-card reader so you can upload you digital camera pictures to your machine. You can even print directly from the memory cards (althought, i've never tried it)

The one thing you have to be careful. When installing the software, make sure windows is set to english otherwise it will install all the s/w and drivers in Japanese (unless that's what you want). You can also set the printer's LCD to english, which is handy for us gaijin.

-SJA

Sorry to hijack this tread:

Negative scanners!

Anyone using them?

I have thousands of b/w negatives which i would like to play with. My days in the darkroom are over for good. I need something affordable with good quality (surprise ;\) )

Even if Brother sell printers here (?) I'm sure the support/ink etc situation is much worth than HP. In my time I have had an Epson, a Canon and an HP. Of course they get better all the time so difficult to compare them but I really like my current HP Photosmart one and would recommend it.

I've got a Canon MP600. The reviews say Canon print the best among ink jets. I'm very happy with the print quality but the card reader is very slow. I haven't tried the scanner yet.