Well this interesting. I've never heard of this Kramer bloke before and I've no idea if he's funny or not.

But his job is clearly talking a lot off the top of his head and trying to be funny. It's a hard way to make a living, and 'off days' must be a very trying ordeal.

Now when somebody heckles me in here or otherwise bugs me and I want to give them a bit of a slapping, I have all their past postings and foibles to work with (not that I'm comparing myself to this Kramer or anything - I'm just theorizing about the urge to poke back at people who annoy one.) But if this bloke is meeting some hecklers for the first time, all he has to work with is their ... appearance (or what they say, which might not offer a great deal of material).

In this case, he notices that they're black and calls them niggers. Now everybody knows this isn't clever, especially for a 'funny man', but he's pissed off, and he's probably used to letting his mouth run ahead a bit and hoping his mind catches up and rescues him. But this time it doesn't (even though the really dedicated fans of comedy are still laughing like little hyenas).

Then for his mea culpa later, he has to apologize to absolutely everybody and admit his 'hate' and his 'rage'. But does he really hate black people, and feel rage against them? Maybe he isn't that fond of them deep in his heart, but is this 'hate' that he's confessing to real? I really doubt it.

The two issues that I see here, of sensitivity to racial epithets, and of the ridiculously short and ridiculously oversignificant media cycle, desperately need review.

It'll be interesting to see if this Kramer person's career ever recovers.

Kramer was a main character on the most popular U.S. sitcom for most of the 1990's. The show was also fairly clever often and the Kramer character was really funny. Standup is another matter though, so it seems. That video is painful to watch! He really crashed!

Just a disgusting display of someone not being able to control his emotions. Anger in this case.

I remeber the best line from Alexis Sayle doing a ploiceman's ball. His come back to a heckler:

"yeah mate I remember when I had my first pint" then to the audience:

"it's either that or 'fxck off you cxnt', but I reserve that for Royal Command performances"

I love Seinfeld, it's prolly my fav. show from the states. I always rent those DVDs from Tsutaya, and always recommend them to my students.

It's just too bad to see Kramer blow up like that. It's so out of his Character to see him like that, which I'm sure is what people expect to see. Yes, it will be interesting to see how his career will recover, doesn't seem so.

I've been to a few comedy clubs in my days, and racial humor (usually in bad taste) is par for the course in many acts. That's the world of stand up.

The difference is he directed it at specific people who could then take it personally (understandably) and not surprisingly it escalated. He's lucky it didn't get physical. But a pretty low moment.

It sucks that he going to judged for that moment for the rest of his life.

Kramer is nothing more than product of media. He may shape it but he is also a slave to it. Another product of media is the Black American image. And a paradox is the word nigger. A word that is only taboo for people with white skin...

Stupid anecdote follows: When I first came to college in Japan, I went to an international party. There was a young Japaneses guy walking up to foreigners, he was the kind of guy that was fanatical about American media and slogans, well he would come up to everybody and say "Whats up Nigger"

I tried to explain that it would come over offensive to almost everybody. But now I feel everybody should do so, these days and more apparent in Japan is that we have been shaped even unknowingly by American media that we are being controlled by it. A kind of soft propaganda.

Kramer is now being punished by it. In his apology he has most certainly sold his soul to the media. His fortune rests on it.

Have you ever seen an interview with Michael Richards (ie the person behind Kramer). He comes across as a calm, thoughtful dude - not like Kramer at all. This outburst is a bit Kramer-ish though. I'm surprised he's still doing standup.

[qupte]Mr McBride and Mr Doss's lawyer, Gloria Allred, said it was "not enough" to say sorry on the programme, suggesting that monetary compensation should be considered.

Seeing as though their lives have been shattered, they can no longer have children and other attrocities, how much do you reckon? I think it is worth $4.5 myself. Each.

How is it possible that anyone could comment about this being in or out of character for Michael Richards. He is an actor who has been paid large amopunts for years to perform. For all anyone knows he could be the grand master of his local KKK and he let his guard slip. Its like suggesting that "george" actually has 50 credit cards in his wallet. ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Contra:
Have you ever seen an interview with Michael Richards (ie the person behind Kramer). He comes across as a calm, thoughtful dude - not like Kramer at all. This outburst is a bit Kramer-ish though. I'm surprised he's still doing standup.
I remember seeing him on an talk show in Australia (Rove Live) and while he did come across as calm and thoughtful, he also seemed to take himself wayyyy too seriously. He's not curing cancer!