I wonder if anybody has been in this situation before. I have to renew my passport next year, but my visa is still valid until 2009. Can I travel with both my new and old passport and show immigration at the airport in Japan my old passport with my valid visas?

Really, I actually read in a website, Japantoday, that you can actually show immigration at the airport your old passport with the visa. So I was wondering if anybody has actually done that. Anway, I think that the safest is to do what you said O11.

Problem for us country folk is it involves a trip to the immigration office. The one I have to go to is at Niigata Airport. I live in Muikamachi, which is a 2 hour drive away (even on the expressway). So it ends up being almost a day trip.

I am in a similar situation as you. I just got my new passport but still have my US visa on the old one (I have transferred the J-visa to the new one). I called the US embassy in Tokyo and they assured me that I will be able to enter the states if I carry both of my passports with me. I am flying on the 11th, so if things don’t go as planed I will let you know.

My visa and re-entry are in my old cancelled passport. I've been traveling with both for the last two years. Immigration officials haven't been phased and I've had no problems so I'd say don't worry about it.

Thanks EVERYONE for the advice. SJ is really great, you can talk about almost anything, and always you'll find somebody willing to help or just give his/her comments. thumbsup.gif

Tsondaboy, if anything happens, yes, I'd like to know. But I hope everything will be O.K. Have a nice trip. If you are hitting any slopes over there, I'd like to hear some stories about it. I've been to the US just once, but it was Summer.