So I'm getting really confused with all these numbers. My plasma can, I believe, support 1125i (1080i) and 750p (720p). Whatever that means. The connections are D4 I believe. But I'm reading a UK article and they don't mention D4, but are going on about HDMI.

Are D4 and HDMI effectively the same, or not? I don't seem to be able to find that answer and then I'm getting even more confused with talk of 1035 and 1080p. They don't really do a good job of making these things easy to understand...

From the top of my head, the number is the number of horizonal lines on the screen. The more the better.

i means interlaced. This is where one frame is made of odd numbered lines and the next frame is made of even numbered lines. This is then repeated.

p means progressive. This is where every line gets updated in every frame, so its better than interlaced. You'll get smoother movement.

I don't really understand the different wires for connecting up.

HDMI is digital video and sound together in one cable. New video players have it but the video decks are quite pricey. I use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect my PowerBook to the TV screen - you can watch any video that will play on the computer on the TV screen and use the computer too...