I really like Japan BUT........

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Iceland BUT.......... thumbsdown.gif thumbsdown.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

I thought you were gonna say - I really like Japan BUT..... the chicks don't have French accents

I really don't understand their research claim at all, it's totally ridiculous. If they wanted to know about - "the size of the populations and their feeding and breeding habits" - they could peacefully observe these creatures. But instead they are killing them, endangering them and disturbing the ecological balance of the seas. What is the REAL reason, Japan insists on whaling?

Funny you should post this, very frustrating!!! I was just having a conversation/debate with one of my students about whale/shark hunting. I just couldn't get through his thick skull the important role whales/sharks play in our eco system. He had no idea that sharks were caught, fins cut off, then thrown back. Ofcourse he didn't care either.

On the other hand, he's the only student that shows up with a goggle tan all winter long though.

N9 they are:

http://www.iucnredlist.org/search/search-basic

Also nothing like abortion debate. Abortion is one inhumane act on another human, whales have no choice, they are just butchered.

MH agreed about the thick skulls, walked by a site the other day where they were tearing down a house! Saw a guy inside with a hard hat on and a mini-digger knocking the house down from the INSIDE. Thick skull or what!

EBC. Yea I would appreciate if they would get the french thing going over here! Alas, I cannot see it happening. Was out for a walk there. Feel good now after, just ready for my bed.

excuse me, but are you for real?

i am going to presume you are just having fun stirring the pot. but in case you are not, the reason people are concerned about this is because japan, like it had previously has done, bringing several species to near extinction, will almost certainly exploit this "resource" the same way it exploits every resource; with the reckless, heedless abandon of a steam train at full speed with no engineer at the controls.

what i find most disgraceful about this is how japan has been using its foreign aid money to bribe countries with no history of whaling to side with them on this issue or lose the relief funds. shameful.

ahhh yes i also read about this foreign aid money bribing gig japan have going to earn votes on the whaling issue, absolutely disgraceful. it's just shocking that young people in japan seem totally oblivious and uninterested in 'issues' facing us in general. where are the protests?!!!!!!!!!!! this is what i miss about living in sweden - people who are more than conscious about issues - and who are willing to stand up and let their government know what they think about it. unfortunately i dont think iceland and norway will back down from their position on whaling either. and japan aren't even doing this anywhere near their own territory. WHAT is the real reason why they are doing this to whales?!

I heard that they where going to go after humpback whales as well this year or next. I love seeing them ( the whales) comming up the east coast of oz every may to july as they come within seeing distance of the coast.

Maybe the reason that Japan does it in the southern ocean is that they killed all the whales in their waters.

I just hope that my spineless government doesn't let their ships enter our waters this time ( who cares if there got a sick person on board) or if they do then impound the ship.

You know it does make good tv the battle between the whalers and greenpeace and sea shepard ships, all the water cannons and raming.

But what would you expect from a government that doesn't care about anything else except their own needs ( before anyone gives crap to oz govt as well I know we need to do better as well).

shame on Japan

japan has a point though they at no point fished whales to the point of extinction. What they used to catch they ate and used. Not like use that had giant ships, gutted the whale then threw them back into the ocean.

All of our own countries do some pretty dodgy things as well really. America over fishes, France over fishes. S. america destroys the rain forest etc etc etc.

I for one do not like whaling.

Abortion for gods sake?

has anyone ever seen tinned whale for sale? my bro was disappointed when we couldn't find any in Jusco. Seems reports back home portray it to be common fare over here.

I've seen tinned seal & cans of bear curry, but never whale. Anyone else?

I've never seen it (that I knew of) in a supermarket in 9 years down here. I had it once at a very expensive sushi restaurant once though. Was served it up as a delicacy. I ate it to see what all the fuss was about and didn't really think all that much of it...

Haven`t too much time to post on this but is something I struggle with many days a year.

Whale is easily found in Japanese eating establishments, if you ask at virtually any izakaya or sushi restaurant they will most likely have it. Not just a delicacy either, there is a fast food restaurant chain called Lucky Pierrot which sells a Whale Burger.

In response to the other question about them not being endangered, there are several species of cetaceans which are on the endangered list, some of which are critically endangerd (blue whale, humpback whale, fin whale, sei whale, northern light whale....)

A common Japanese argument for pro whaling goes along the lines of hunting to avoid depletion in fish stocks in the waters. However as a whole, whales do not eat large quantities of fish as food, nor do they threaten the health of the world's limited marine fish resources. Some whale Species do prey on fish, but often on fish that humans do not consume. In truth, humans are primarily responsible for fisheries declines. It is humans who continue to threaten the world's stocks through overfishing and reluctance to allow stocks to naturally replenish.

I say we start whaling whalers with big harpoons to see how they like it!! Really annoying. I have seen it a few places but I would never buy it to try it. This just creates a market for more dead whales.

Bear curry, I have heard it all now.....soon there will be moloney soup (should feed them for a while)! It is nearly as bad a china where they will eat anything

Don't most whales eat plankton?????

except spearm whales that eat squid and the transeant killer whales. Now they are amazing creature. Seen them a couple of months ago chasing a humpback and calf on there way down to antartica while i was fishing with my mates in our boat about 15 km off sydney. Seen them get the little bugger which was a sight to see.

Quote:
Originally posted by moloney:
I have seen it a few places but I would never buy it to try it. This just creates a market for more dead whales.
Probably not aimed at me, but just to qualify, I was given it on my plate without asking for it or knowing what was coming. I wouldn't order it either.

Oyuki fair point. Especially when the JApanese go into other people's backyards to deplete these stocks further...

my point is that for the anger directed at Japanese they arent the ones that really created the problem. HEck neither are the native north americans. The problem lies with western greed and hypocrisy. Make a fortune, find out that youve damaged something, then tell everyone that they cant then do it either, but oops we got rich and you cant.

Im not for whaling but we as a whole need to look at who created the problem in the first place.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:
OK guys, bitch about whaling, and how human greed had decimated them, and then think about how Maguro and cod stocks have dropped 90% in the past 50 years the next time you go to a kaiten sushi.
do you not eat fish O.K.? I gotta say i eat it at least once/week...in some form or another.

Ive eaten whale. Cant say its something I thought was good, unlike raw horse which was delicious IMO, and wont eat it again.

i am not for whaling, and i am not happy whith how japan tried to block the inuit from being able to hunt whales after the japanese themselves were rejected.

i am pissed that an estimated 10% of all whale in supermarkets are from endangered species

i am pissed at the inane reasons they give. Whales tend to eat fish lower on the food chain than humans, nor do they usually feed where humans fish.

But we are doing the same thing to the oceans `en masse` as we have done to the whales. And while the japanese may not have been fully responsible for the former, they certainly have a big role in the latter. greed and hypocrisy are not just western values.

Oh, and Creek Boy, no, i don`t eat fish, not even katsuo-bushi.

Let me add that i don`t think that eating fish is necassarily bad or evil, but given the absolute rape of the resource, i can`t bring myself to participate n it any longer.

I do think that eating it once or twice a week is reasonable, especially if it is a local fish.

But that is hardly the present-day situation in Japan.