fjef, the old version don't come with a plug do they? When you're actually selling your old Prius, I'd be grateful if you'd give me a shout, because I might be interested. I prefer the old ones to the new ones.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you would think I would learn my lesson every tim that there is some sort of hidden catch somewhere. I am not arguing about the value of the prius but for me aesthetically it is pretty horrible. I dont wanna offend you boys with that. I want to have something that I like but is not too heavy on the environment. Anyways I may think of something as I have to decide by tomorrow.

There's not that much to choose between the Stream and Prius in looks is there? There are about 4 cars around at the moment that can pretty much be mistaken for Priuses head on. I believe the Stream is one of them. All sort of cockroach-like to my mind. If you're going to drive a cockroach, you might as well get the mileage too...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
fjef, the old version don't come with a plug do they? When you're actually selling your old Prius, I'd be grateful if you'd give me a shout, because I might be interested. I prefer the old ones to the new ones.
No plug - no Prius' come with plugs although a lot of people wish they did as the battery would always be at full charge after plugging in rather than relying on the gas engine to provide the charge...

You can get conversion kits from the US which do allow you to plug in and increase your mileage dramatically over short distance trips.

This is the stream. I have looked at the prius, sorry but I think it is ugly and I doubt I can get it this year so that kinda rules it out unfortunately. I could get the Subaru sports wagon WRX within my budget those they eat petrol I believe!! engine

It sounds to me like a Stream would be overkill, in your position I would go for a Toyota Rush or Mitsubishi Pajero IO and put a rack on top for your snowboard. I also wonder why no-one has mentioned the Forrester on here with all the Suburu talk. Mazda Axcela or Honda Edix may also be suitable, nice looking, a bit sporty but not too big and fuel gobbling.

I am also in the process of buying a car, but with a 10 month baby and another due in April, will probably get a Toyota Raum or Porte for the accessibility. I really want the Nissan Dualis out next year but cant wait that long.

I really like the new Prius but I heard they are only economical for urban driving - given Wiggles comments I may re-research that though. Also heard visibility out the back window is very poor.

> Also heard visibility out the back window is very poor.

That's certainly true. When I test drove it, I had to wonder why they chose to cover up half the rear window. That was a really big sale breaker for Mrs11 too. That's a major point in favour of the first Prius.

The first Prius is a lot smaller too, but I wonder which has better fuel consumption.

I think the tiny rear window is inevitable because of the huge battery in the back, but that doesn't make it any less dangerous/inconvenient.

The Harrier SUV (i forget whether it toyota or honda) has a hybrid version too, as does the Honda Civic 1.3. I was really interested in the latter until I saw how pricey it is. Any saving in fuel costs are lost in the extra 50man or so you have to pay for it.

Yeah I'm tempted by the Axela myself but once I'm walking down that road its not long before I am talking about an Alfa Romeo 147. Ive decided to get a boring family car and in 4-5 years time I'll get something I can enjoy like a nissan X-trail or Dualis.

Good luck with your decision...

Its true that you can't see much out the back window of the new Prius when you're going forwards. However it has a wide-angle camera just above the back bumper for reversing, so its dead easy to back it up. The camera comes up on the navi screen with guidelines telling you where the car is currently headed based on the angle of the front wheels. The Japanese model can actually park itself automatically, but it takes too long to set up.

Like ordinary cars, you get best mileage on flat or flattish roads at moderate speeds with few stops. In traffic, the Prius gains too from the engine stopping when not needed and the brakes charging the battery, though this is far from 100% efficient. With Prius-level mileage, the hybrid system pays for its itself in a couple of years if you drive a fair bit. With other hybrids, that might not be the case.

I like the new Prius a lot, I think the design is excellent and I like how its much greener.

I would get one if was a bit cheaper, but my maths showed that based on how much I would drive (not much, I walk to work) it would take about 10 years to get the extra cost of a Prius vs a non-hybrid 1.5L sedan back from gas savings. I guess it may retain its value more though long term, and theres always the chance that I will move from this craphole town to Kobe or somewhere and start commuting.

Do you really get 33km/l like they say on the website?

Legacy 4wd out of the choices given is probably the best for hazardous conditions.

but whatever you get, don`t choose an automatic.

They are hideous in dangerous conditions , manual gives you far better control on black ice and snow without having to resort to the brakes too much.

If you have a look at the major Prius forums (priuschat.com and others), you'll see that people very quickly adapt to the small rear window (properly adjusted mirrors will take care of it) and very few people have any problems with rear vision while driving. I helped my mom (she's 70) buy one last year in Canada and although it was a comment she made at the dealership, it has never been mentioned since. She loves the car but now hates my father because he steals it from her every chance he gets.

The strangest thing about owning a Prius is when you are in a 'normal' car and think 'WTF?' when the engine is running and you are not moving...

You'll also find in your research that the Prius is coming in first consistently in owner satisfaction surveys in Japan and in N. America and has a very low total cost of ownership due to low maintenance and repair costs. The engine is designed to pollute far less than a similar sized car - and with the electric and gas engines combined, you have far more power than a regular 1.5L car.

It really is an engineering marvel...

I'd go for the manual 4WD Legacy, (high and low range version?) and if you're a seasoned snow/slippery conditions driver, don't get ABS - e.g. sometimes you want the wheels to lock rather than have incremental braking.

As with all motoring activities - it's the capability of the driver that makes the difference, not the type of vehicle he/she is driving.

You people with the Toyota - does the cold weather reduce battery charge significantly?

I'll also vote for the Legacy. O11 is right about the Imprezza rattles. They have the same mechanicals as the Legacy, but are built down to a price. The cost savings were made in the interior, and it shows.

SubZero is also right about the ABS. It's great in dry or wet conditions. On snow or ice you are better off without it.

Not me, honest. I know who it is but I'll spare his blushes.

I've had three Legacys. My first was sold at 240,000km, and still drove like a new car. I sold my second, a lovely RS 2.5, when I moved to Japan. Soubriquette has one too, and that's the car I drive now. They have more than adequate performance, refined ride and vice-free handling. I don't envy anyone on the road, especially in bad weather.

> Get a K.

Subaru also lent us one of their keis, a special something or other. It was a perfect joy to drive and went up hills much more willingly than the 1.5l Unimpreza.

My son got dogshit all over the carpets and it kinda stunk when we gave it back.

We also have four Keis on the family/factory fleet. Two Vivios, a Pleo and a Sambar van. I like them all, but the van is my favourite, a real hoot to drive. Not sure I would like to spend seven hours in one to pick up my lads from Narita though.

Axela is not bad, I got one for a week when some woman reversed into my roadster.I quite enjoyed driving it.I like driving Mazda`s.

Just make sure it`s manual!!!!far more important than if it has ABS or not.You`ll be glad of the precise control you have over the engine in icy conditions.

And yeah the gun metal grey is a nice colour.I wanted my roadster that colour but it was only on the later model that year.