Hey I am getting a car soon (this week) and as I am mainly getting it to go skiing I was wondering if FF 2WD is enough, or is 4WD the better solution?

I have the option of a Subaru Legacy which is 4WD or a Honda Stream (FF 2WD or 4WD)?

Which one would you pick (which car also???)?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends how many people you're going to be taking with you. The Stream is a bit of a whale, so unless you're taking a group of 5 or more nearly every time, or planning to sleep in it, it's probably too big.

In my experience, 4WD is no safer, but it does help to get started on a slippery surface, so it's better to have it, as long as you don't get any wrong ideas about having more leeway for foolishness.

Is there any particular reason why you can't get a smaller car?

Well to be honest not really, but these are the cars that the company offered to me. I would like the legacy myself, but I could also get an impreza 4WD which probably makes more sense. I really should make the sensible decision!

get the legacy.

I'm usually telling people all the time that 4wd isn't necessary (Japanese have a thing for 4wd if it snows) but since you're in tochigi, if you start taking sketchy shortcuts through the mountains then 4wd might help you out of a bad spot.

If you can make do with an Impreza 4WD, why not go for that? (The 1.5 l versions have no power though)

But as a current owner of an Impreza 1.8 l rattlebox, I'd be inclined to look at a Toyota wagon if I was still in the market for a petrol vehicle. Subarus are overrated.

Imprezza only if it's a WRX STi, but I seriously doubt ya Co. would offer you that.

Legacy GT's usually take Hi Oktane gas, and the lower models you could use regular.

Don't worry if you crash, you got insurance!

Will your co be shelling out for gas (petrol)? Legacy's do guzzle abit but get a few crew together and you'll be fine.

I will be mostly travelling on my own so thats a pain. I will pay for the gas (I sound american) and also the cost of the car but I have set myself an amount that I will spend. The way it works is the company will do all the deals (so get reduction) and I will pay for everything through the company. I am happy enough, as they pay for my apartment so I think I would be pushing the boundaries trying for a car.

My target is 6 man including insurance but my insurance through the company is max 5sen. So I have 5.5 man to play with. Legacy is 4.5man and Stream 4.4man. Impreza is 3.7m but I dont want to have a gutless car! The stream 4WD would work out around 5m per month. I also would like to get some chicks into it, I think with an Impreza I will have to rely on charm....!!! I think the Stream is the nicest!! Any other makes or models too suggest?

mate, the imprezza is fine if you get the 2L model. I have the imprezza wrx (although it's the rx in Aus), non-turbo. And while it isn't a bullet like the turbo, it has more than enough guts, and the 4wd gives the thing excellent handling. The imprezza didn't win so many rallies on the world rally circuit for nothing.

If you do get a 4WD, remember that all cars are equal if the brakes slammed and the wheels are locked. 4WD adds traction - but there are many accidents by over confident 4WD drivers who go to fast and then wonder why they are in the ditch (or worse) as soon as they hit the brakes...

I would see if skid/traction control is available on any of those cars and go with that. And make sure you have studdless tires.

good call fjef.

But surely all of those options would have ABS, if they were made in the last 5 years (or earlier).

Traction control is not the same thing - just lets you go even faster before you skid, as it takes power away from the wheels if they are starting to spin/skid under acceleration!

Means you can drive with a 'heavy foot', but perhaps more dramatic crashes when it fails (by 'it' failing, I mean you driving so badly that the traction control cannot help you!)

I agree but ABS is an option on many models - not standard equipment - especially if they are older. Learning to take advantage of any of these options so you know what they do (and can't do) is important. Traction control is also not the same in all cars as it has developed over time and will not save you from driving to fast or over confidence in dangerous conditions.

Lads I am not a boy racer! So relax, I dont really want a fast car as it only encourages speed. I would like something with a bit of poke, thats fun to drive and looks good. I think the new Impreza is not so nice unless you get the sports version. Also the non sports version doesnt have a 2l engine.

For a single person going snowboarding a Legacy is over the top, as is the Stream. You might want to think about your footprint. (I've driven the Stream too and it's not a good handler.)

And since the Impreza 1.5 l lacks power so conspicuously (I was lent one when my Impreza's gear box broke), why not look for a similar type from another maker?

Anti-lock braking is horrible. I prefer to handle crises myself.

One heavy poster on this forum wrote off a Legacy, so they are not impregnable. The "very powerful and reliable" brakes didn't save his car. lol.gif

A Prius will do Tokyo to Hakuba return in under 30 litres with the heater on. Under 25 litres if you stay under 100kph.

I can get great deals on the Toyota Prius from an auction dealer friend- otherwise they are very hard to find/expensive. They are heavy in the front because of the extra engine and are good in snow. I am about to order a new one and will have my 2002 model (in excellent shape) for sale...

I have thought about the carbon footprint and the stream is an economical car. It does 14.8/litre (6.8/100km's) which is good! I had a VW Golf 1.4 in Germany and that did 7.5/100km's. So that is pretty good consumption. Regarding a Prius, I think they are horrible! Lastly, I will take the train to and from work (adding cost to myself) as I cannot justify driving. So I still think I am coming in relatively environmentally friendly. Gotta like the thing too for that money.......

Fjef....dont want to own a car over here. Too much trouble with administration. Let the company take care of it!!

Why would you think a Prius is horrible? Its the best vehicle I have ever had. I average 24kms/litre with the older version - the new ones like Mr. Wiggles has are even better. They are almost maintenance free and are good in snow.

Waiting lists are so long in Japan that they are probably not available to lease - so you are right about that part being horrible!

Quote:
Originally posted by moloney:
It does 14.8/litre (6.8/100km's) which is good!
That's in the Japanese 10/15 cycle test. If you stick to the 50km/h speed limit on flat country roads with the windows closed and the aircon off, you might get somewhere near there. The rest of the time, forget it.

Realistically, you're probably talking 8km/l or less for the average driver and ordinary conditions. If you have to fill up in Hakuba, its 140 a litre plus.