Japanese Input in Ubuntu Linux

Any ideas on how to make Japanese language input work when English is set as the system language in Ubuntu?

In Ubuntu, if I set the system language to Japanese at login, then the Japanese input toolbar appears and functions normally. Naturally, all other menus and apps are also in Japanese.

However, if I set the system language to English at login, even though I have Japanese support and fonts installed, and even though the Japanese input manager (scim-anthy) appears in the English menu and allows me to set the key commands and etc., the input toolbar/system just never starts or appears. I can't make it turn on.

Does anybody know how to do this?

What is your locale? US english or another one? There is /etc/scim configuration file which tells the scim program which locales are allowed to access to it, if you are using an Australian locale, or a british, you may have to add it to that file.

Usually by default US locales are enabled, but you'll be able to read in the file which are enabled. Also for best result make sure your locale is UTF, although about this one you shouldn't have any problems if you are using a recent version of ubuntu since they come already by default with the installation.