When I've been out into the countryside here I've noticed some small huts that have what seems to be "rice" written all over them - looks like there's some kind of vending machine in there. Are they vending machines or something else?

Quote:
Originally posted by best snowboarder @ niseko:
If its the same one I'm thinking about it's not actually selling rice but taking off the outer part, cleaning the rice. Maybe.
There's one of them across the road from my mother-in-law's coffee shop in Aichi. A coin-op rice mill. That one's got a big silo-looking thing out the back, but from the way it was connected up, I think it's just for kero to power the thing.

Presumably people store their rice whole grain and polish a few kg when they need it.

afc-501gmh_050714163531.jpg

Popular places they are, especially in the sticks. I like the signs they display such as "Low temperature polishing!" and "100% return!", alluding to dodgy practices of the past where a noticeable portion of your rice would disappear and the rest would come back half baked.

Don't forget to take a bag for the polishings too, for all your home preserving and fertilizing needs!

There are also smaller machines that actually sell packaged, cooked rice for those chronically incapable of converting their own staple food into edible form. The product is occasionally featured on TV ads depicting happy families, joyfully peeling the lids off their steaming disposable plastic rice bowls - not a scene representing current reality I suspect.