Having enjoyed all the pics that have been posted I noticed that, through necessity, many of you BC people use telescopic poles.

I want to get a set that will take the rough 'n tumble of BC life and are relatively easy to repair in the field.

What's your weapon/s of choice? And, what material - alloy or carbon fibre?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Monty, get flick-lock poles as twist-lock ones often freeze inside the tube. It only takes a small amount of moisture and they will not open or wont close once opened. At –10, windy, fresh lines and stubborn hands it is the last thing you want after a long hike.

I have twist locks that work fine without freezing or locking. They're old Komperdells, that also extend out and lock together to make an emergency avo probe (not as good as a normal probe).

I have heard, however, that the flick locks are better. I think three-section poles are good if you're a boarder, but if you're a skier you'd do fine with two-section poles. As a skier, it's not like I ever need to get my poles really small and stash them away in my pack. The more sections you have the more they cost and weigh.

I use snowshoe poles when I telemark. They're twisty three-section jobs I originally bought for hiking. I'm always adjusting them coz I've got bad technique and don't know how long they should be. No problems with freezing so far. They're not as light as proper skipoles, but they look much stronger.

I personally use the Black Diamond Expedition 3 section poles, although they are really heavy compared to the (non adjustable, non collapsable) carbon fiber Scott poles I normally ski with.

BD Expedition, Aluminum, 57 to 125 cm., 600 g., MSRP US$ 69.00, purchased for about 8,000 yen at Ishii Sports.

For CF, go with the MSR Overland Expedition, 65 to 140 cm., 481 g., MSRP US$ 130.

Life-Link has both multi material and aluminum poles.

Life-Link Odyssey 3, Aluminum/Chromoly/CF, 66 to 142.2 cm., 20 oz. MSRP US$110.

Life-Link Triple Direct, Aluminum, 61 to 132 cm., 19 oz. MSRP US$ 55.

I don't have the information on similar Komperdell or Leki poles although they both look good.

For me, 3 section poles are preferred for their shorter length, I can stow them with my 94 cm Head fun skis.

Got me the BD 2 section poles same as Fattwins and Yamakashi, wicked poles, lent em to my wife for a day and had to buy her some too so I could get mine back!Cheap as well, mine cost me YEN 4830 from Rapie in Hakuba, great deals to be had from there now.

The BD 2 section poles were about 5,500 yen at Ishii, and they have an actual selection of shovels, as well for BC.

One thing about collapsible poles is that the swing weight and swing are really bad compared to carbon fiber single section poles.

I got the same as everyone here. BD flicklock.

First day out with them I jumped off a cliff and rolled over one of them. Bent it a bit. Now it doesn't shrink down easily. Takes a bit of effort. Other than that they are good poles.

I invested in the larger powder baskets just cause I am more of a man than the people I ski with

• 2 months later...

Mine are much cooler looking than the ones you posted though Yama ;\)

bdpowderbasketf04.l.jpg

Powder baskets are meant for what they are named for so you don't push all the way to the ground as you do with normal small baskets.

I had really big baskets on my favorite pair of poles, then I ran them over. I like the half baskets for spring and the full baskets for powder. I love to extend my poles on long traverses or skinning.

I have had a few problems hiking up steep slopes when my large powder baskets deflect the pole away from the slope. The halfys would work better here I guess but then I guess if it is that steep I should be using an ice axe for climbing up

I priced a pair of alloy Black Diamond flick-lock stocks yesterday - how's this for a price:

Two Section: $95 (Aussie)

Three Section: $115? (Aussie)

All the others I saw (Lecki, etc) were about $30-$40 cheaper but had the twist lock type clamps and appeared inferior quality.