Landlord entering house without me knowing

I found out today that my landlord entered my house yesterday to check on some electricity setting or something. I did not know he was going to do that and was not asked permission. That seems way wrong to me and I'm not happy about it. It wasn't too messy at the time but it sure could have been.

Surely they need to ask permission before entering someones living space?

I think as a courtesy they should tell you but as far as I know in Japan, a landlord has the right to enter a place that he/she rents out.

I had the same experience a few years ago and I did not get very far with my complaint.

if i remember correctly your landlord does not need to notify you for reasons such as this. however i'm willing to bet the common courtesies pertaining to this issue are cross cultural.

that being the case, good-luck complaining about it.

Yup, in the states either.

When I was back at home I would often come home and there would be some random sitting on the sofa swillin beers saying I'm a friend of a friend of... but it was always cool cause they knew they belonged. But, there's no way some landlord would just walk into someones house all inocent whistling "whistle while you work" or something like everythings cool, that shit don't fly.

I've never even thought about that. Now I'm wondering if anyones ever came in my Apt. while I wasn't there.

Charlotte, Did they leave a notice that they were there ? or did you just find out?

I thought the first rule of renting was to immediately change the locks so previous tennants couldn't gain access.

All ya gotta do is get new locks, keep the old ones - that way, they can be replaced when you leave. Voila, the old undies-sniffer (landlord) can't get in without notifying you beforehand.

Its common in Japan, are you sure its your landlord? Because it could be a few people, often the eletric man can come if if your landlord gave him the key. It happens more than you think.

But in Japan if you have a serious greviance, you can hold back on your rent, you can do it legally but you can also do it in a grey area kind of way, just dont pay. They can throw you out for 6 months, they cant get the money off you and if you dont have a contract there is nothing they can do about it. There are a few gaijins who know this and stay here for ages with out paying rent.

If you have a contract, with a paid garrantor, you can make a claim and they will cover the rent.

Quote:
Originally posted by YellowSnow:

But in Japan if you have a serious greviance, you can hold back on your rent, you can do it legally but you can also do it in a grey area kind of way, just dont pay. They can throw you out for 6 months, they cant get the money off you and if you dont have a contract there is nothing they can do about it. There are a few gaijins who know this and stay here for ages with out paying rent.
Do you think that is acceptable behaviour? Squatting.

good point about the locks subzero, but how many people actually do this?

i've often thought about it, but my laziness always wins out and i trust in the goodness of my fellow man not to steal stuff from my house. but maybe that's far too naive.

Quote:
Originally posted by spook:
good point about the locks subzero, but how many people actually do this?
i've often thought about it, but my laziness always wins out and i trust in the goodness of my fellow man not to steal stuff from my house. but maybe that's far too naive.
Me too, Whenever I move into a new place I always plan on changing the locks but...
That's it!! This weekend I'm on that shit.

It's pretty wierd, when I was in the states I never locked my doors at all even though there's so many criminals out roaming. I never did here either, but my wife doesn't even run out to get the mail without locking the doors and always yells at me for leaving the door unlocked. Now I pretty much always lock the door (unless she's not home and I'll be back before her). Damn I must be getting whipped. sadglass.gif

It's in my agreement that I can't change locks. They even pointed it out when I moved in so it was a big issue with them. I also let them know that I want to know if they want to come in for whatever reason.

Reminds me of a story I heard when I first went to China in 1986. An American woman arrived in her Beijing hotel - a large central hotel catering to tourists and business people - and was tired and jet-lagged after a long flight. She showered and lay on the bed naked and fell asleep.

She awoke to find a horrified male hotel employee running out of her room. She was upset, dressed and went to the front desk to complain. The manager was called and he told her that if she promised not to behave like this again, she would not be turned over to the police and charged. She was also asked to apologise to the traumatised employee (in writing so she would not have to see him again).

Being naked in your hotel room was a crime in Beijing at the time - I wonder if it still is today?