Kurt Cobain - 26 mill last year

Not bad for someone not alive is it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6092030.stm

Quote:
In the last year, Cobain reportedly earned £26m pounds for the beneficiaries of his estate.

The list of dead celebrity millionaires is drawn up by the American business bible, Forbes magazine. It says that a nail in the casket is hardly the end for some stars: instead their work, as well as their iconic image, continues to appeal to fans and to those born long after they died.

I wonder how he would have reacted.

On the subject of Cobain, he seems to be on music mag covers still here almost every year. Seemed rather overrated and overhyped to me.

Bag, I disagree. Nirvava changed the direction rock music took in the early nineties, I don't think you should underestimate the influence they (and Kurt) still have on what were hearing on the waves even now.

"The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long" Blade Runner

I like some Nirvana and Cobain also set a new standard as 'the perfect tragic rock and roll cliche' which is cool. Then he died tragically, which is tragic, but good entertainment and good for the media biz. In the 1990's though, it suddenly became the 'in' thing to be bad at playing the guitar and now it seems like there are a lot of 20 year olds singing mellow-dramatic crap about blood and sacrafice and who don't know how to play their instruments. I can imagine them in the recording sutdio. The 30-something weekend-amature-rock-star recording engineers are probably far better at the guitar than the 19 year old on the floor making millions of dollars. --"OK. I let's try one more take. Listening to the click track this time..."

Plus, what's called alternative is as mainstream as 'shokupan' in Japan.

Man, the other day I went to Tsutaya and got that DVD "The last days", did anyone else watch that? Holy shit was that lame. Could have been interesting if it was just a doc. of his whole life rather than the last couple days.

It seems that the song "about a girl" was about some Japanese girl that one of the members had a one night stand with while on tour in Japan. Said something like that was the finest POA he ever had.

Anyone read a kurt biography? I read one by a big wig rock music journo, but I’m sure there’s tons of em out there. Hilariously depressing stuff. Despite having insane amounts of cash coming in, Kurt and Courtney would live like the junkies they were. Massive seattle mansions without any power or utilities hooked up. Living hand to mouth without any food in the place. Courtney washing their baby while kurt’s shooting up in the background.

Pretty much the whole book is a series of endless overdoses. And when he finally kicks the bucket it’s all very anticlimactic.

I’m sure this shows my insensitivity, but throughout the book I found it hard to give a toss about the bloke. I mean, just stop whacking that crap in your viens… :rolleyes:

I like the music though.

That reminds me of Gus VanSant's recent movie, 'Last Days' where he chronicles this [censored]ed up rocker's last days. I would read the Cobain book but I couldn't even get through Van Sant's two hour movie.

Quote:
Originally posted by ger:
That reminds me of Gus VanSant's recent movie, 'Last Days' where he chronicles this [censored]ed up rocker's last days. I would read the Cobain book but I couldn't even get through Van Sant's two hour movie.
YUP, that's what I'm talking about, about 40 min of the movie was Kurt stumbling around the woods mumbling some bullshit that you can't even make out. I didn't understand a word he said the whole movie!!!

Well you didn't miss much. In the end he just stumbled into his greenhouse, shotgun in hand as usual. Then in the next scene some new character (maybe the landlord) found him just as his soul escapes. After his death the roomates left for So Cal. cause they thought they were suspects or something. I don't know wakaranai.gif

The closing scene was the roomates cruising down the road in silence if I remember correctly.

Gus Van Sant's done some strange stuff recently. Have you seen "Elephant Gun" or "Gerry"? I liked his earlier work. Everyone should see "Drugstore Cowboy" with Matt Dillon and um... the chick from Boogie nights... what's her name??? Good sound track too.