I think it seems that most people living outside the main cities have a relatively shorter commute. This is associated with commuting by car as well as easier housing options close to the office/school/ski hill.

I am now trying to work out where to live and how close to the office I want to be. The problem with the big cities is the closer you are to the office the less chance you have of living in a quiet, leafy area.

I think more center more green in Tokyo. There are nice and quiet areas if you bike or walk around. I guess many foreign bankers are living in those area. My office is 5minutes walk from Shibuya station, from my apartment 30mimutes by train and 40minutes by bike. There is no space for my bike in my office, so I have to take train everyday...

I am living in Tokyo just because my office is here. I wanted to have life experience and challenge in a big city when I moved, now I don't know how to get out of here... sad...

slow do just that, then!!

living in osaka-shi 3 years ago, i had a one-way commute of 1 hr 50 min to western kyoto-fu.

now living in tokyo, 23 minutes on the subway, 40 door to desk. but that's nothing, some people in my office commute 2+ hrs. each way. (as they have done for 20 years and will continue to do so for the next 20 years)!!

but it's not just tokyo, though. any city is like that.

I used to have a 1 hour 15 minute commute home (including walking between office and station and also waiting for the train). And that was just to reach my car. After that I had a 20 minute drive to reach my house.

One day, 75 minutes after leaving the office, I arrived at my car and found I'd left my keys at the office. So 75+ minutes back to the office to get the keys then 75+ minutes back to the car. Then a 20 minute drive to my house.

That was a long evening.

I hate it when things like that happen. Usually when you're really tired as well. Once I forgot something at work and had to go back - 2 hours wasted. I was in a stinking mood that evening.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
I hate it when I'm just ready for bed and I find that there aren't any pillowcases on the pillows. Then I have to go all the way back downstairs to get some before I can go to bed.
why do you keep the bedlinnen downstairs?

problem solved.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
lol.gif You must have been ****in dirty spud!
Nah, it was one of those time when you feel so kicked and beaten that it really doesn't bother you. You just sigh and go into a blank coma until the shit passes.