Vegemite _ BANNED in the USA

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

If you don't stop it, I'll start spreading rumours that Vegemite actually contains wombat shit, that's why it was banned.
lol.gif Good one.

That's the trouble with the WWW. You have to put up with annoying people that you disagree with.

I'll stop it if he does

P.S. My stupid country ay? Nice insult yourself! Surely a word smith of your calibre can do better than that. Why don't you borrow Spuds club and have a real good swing. ;\) Would you be saying that to me if we were standing face to face ?.

> Would you be saying that to me if we were standing face to face ?

Yes, I would.

Our resident kneejerk American nationalist Plucky used to get around to saying things like that too. That's the trouble with nationalism - you let anybody hurt your feelings at any time, and you have absolutely no recourse whatsoever.

I don't think db will be stopping anytime soon. He probably still has lots to say about his country, and your whimpering won't make any difference.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

I don't think db will be stopping anytime soon. He probably still has lots to say about his country, and your whimpering won't make any difference.
He doesn't have a country ? What Spudzonia ?

the internet was made for this! lol.gif

i doubt if anybody on this forums were face to face they'd be spouting their opinions as vehemently. i'd like to say chill out, but lurkers like myself enjoy a bit of sh1t slinging.

spud doesn't like many things about oz that many others also find disagreeable, and mantas like many things about oz that others do too.

the best bit about this is the time difference means we get to have this drama played out slooowly

To think anything is about "you and me" is ridiculous. Nothing in life is about YOU and ME. Get over yourself. (using your capitalisation). I had a huge shit-slinging post using vegemite as leverage into contemporary Australian issues. And carry on like a pork chop in response.

I don't speak on behalf of the forum, that's plain stupidity to even suggest it. If there is one thing I reliably do is speak my mind, not the mind of thousands of others on the forum, for better or worse.

What choice of yours are you asking me to respect? I don't care about you, get that in your head.

I keep reading over your post and its just dribble, impossible to respond to properly. Whilst I like Australia very much as my natural home (but need not tell you that, Mantas) I have outspoken critical opinions about certain types of blatantly dumb Aussie-ness and your border policy 'joke' baited exactly those sentiments. Whilst it is par for the course on an Aussie website, I thought it stuck out as an unusual post on a forum full of people that give, and depend upon, tolerance in Japan.

Why don't you stop whimpering about Aussie bashing, or call Bindi Irwin and report me, or say something about snowboarding or Japan.

ps - to ask someone online "would you say that to my face" is implying physical threat.

pps - Spook, you summarised it pretty well and I hope I didn't insult you when we shared some beers and spoke about whatever like a pair of Australian's in London.

Mantas, not that it really matters, but i agree with the basic premise of some stuff db posts, but i often disagree with the lengths he takes his points to. Whatever. I enjoy reading strong opinions. Whether you agree or disagree with them, there’s normally something you can take on board.

Everyone’s entitled to have opinions, which you both do. If everyone thought the same, conversations (and internet forums) would be pretty boring.

Having just returned to oz after 3 years living overseas there’s many things I like about the place, and there’s many things I’m disappointed in. I wouldn’t defend Australia against all criticisms though, because, like any other country/culture in the world, there’s always going to be things that could be made better. Overall I feel bloody lucky to live here, but that doesn’t mean we should blindly accept everything about the place.

And db, the only complaint I have with you is your beer snobbishness ;\) seriously man, the cheap stuff ain't always thaaaat bad

Quote:
I wouldn’t defend Australia against all criticisms though, because, like any other country/culture in the world, there’s always going to be things that could be made better.
Well said. There's wankers all around the world. The key to avoiding them is obvious - find the place where there are less wankers per capita...

I believe Australia is one of these places.

Apologies to bushpig - you're absolutely correct, I did mean to refer to mantas (not yourself) in my previous post on page 2.

I too enjoy reading everybodies opinions and I think it's great that they constrast and in turn stimulate further discussion. One thing that you have to remember is that written messages (ie messageboards, sms, emails) are NOT the same as verbal communication. A face-to-face conversation involves all your senses, the most important are hearing and vision - both of which are fairly negligible when reading a message.

So obviously, in this medium of discussion there are always going to be misunderstandings and misinterpretations. You've got to remember that. Don't take anything you read too seriously, you could have it completely wrong and simply not be aware of it. (think sarcasm and hyperbole)

I'm hungry, I need some vegemite.

Spook - I type too much words with too much fire on nearly ever topic, going to great lengths... its either a good or a bad habit. Could be good if I used it properly.

You mention 'cheap' Beer ;\)

You see, what Australian's are forced to consider 'expensive' beer actually isn't expensive at all, its sheer junk beer imported from European factories and overpriced to the consumer (Stella was a classic example). And what Australian's are forced to mostly miss out on is the really inexpensive plain old real beer (German beer, for example: dirt cheap and basic and real, same for English Ales)

This leaves lots of local factory beers (VB etc) that we all drink but are too afraid to question, that would make us snobs. It is a very un-European attitude. We drink to get drunk, not to enjoy (and get drunk at the same time). Australia is so remote that the average Anglo-Celtic Aussie has actually convinced himself that he is dramatically different to the average Brit. In the greater scheme of the world, the two are almost identical, very close relatives. That is what amazes me about Americans: how much they seem to have evolved away from their parents. Back to brew, if you ignore the commercial junk, it is very easy to buy much better beer in America than Australia. But you are SOL if you want some yellow cake.

Snosurf - "A face-to-face conversation involves all your senses, the most important are hearing and vision". In some parts of England, you would have to include the 'sense of headbutt' ;\)

Last post for me;

I don’t belong in here. I never did. I’ve wasted far too much time on this computer trying to communicate with all you nameless faceless people. Time that could be better spent with my family or on my business. I appreciate all the help and advice I got from you all.

It would be no surprise to tell you that this is my first forum. I am a terrible wordsmith (and typist) and I really struggled to get my point across at times. My fault entirely. Judging by some of the reactions I got I must have ruffled a few feathers, it wasn’t my intention to do so believe me. What can I say? I can’t say it has been a positive experience for overall. Dealing with people through a computer is not my style and I find an element of cowardice in the anonymity of it all. But hey that’s just me. You guys seem to have a good thing going and I wish you all the best. Even you Spud. I’m sure we would have more in common than not, but we will never know!

\:\) \:\( \:o \:D ;\) :p cool.gif :rolleyes:

Don't go, this was my first proper forum as well. All you have to do is leave the conflict to people like me with not enough commitment to other things during the day. No need to bail out, although I do agree that all this internet forum shit is just plain weird.

mate, don't take it too personal, is the only advice I'd give ya. Spud has his rants, and we all know that, so you shouldn't feel like you have to defend what he attacks. If you do piss off, then all the best, but as many have said before, the differences of opinion are what makes this place interesting.

> Dealing with people through a computer is not my style and I find an element of cowardice in the anonymity of it all.

That's just an unfounded assumption of yours. I'd be delighted to add injury to insult if that was really required.

BTW, you're not a terrible wordsmith by any stretch. Your surfing posts were very readable indeed.

Now have yourself a nice Vegemite sandwich and calm down.

yeah man, don't go. pfffft. at least you had something interesting to say, rather than just be a lurker like myself.

the surfing post you started was pretty popular and better recieved than the other ones several of us have tried to create.

anyway, the whole point of forums is to slag other people off in ways that can't be done face to face... isn't it

Mantas, you add a lot to this messageboard it would be a shame if we never got to read any more of your thoughts again mate.

Maybe instead of quitting you could just 'cut-down'?

I still think your signature ('the older I get, the better I was') is the best i've seen on this forum. It's so true! The number of times i've heard 30/40 year old guys crap on about how good they were at skating/surfing etc 'back in the day' is ridiculous!

But the fact is, that will be me talking my young self up in a decade or so!