Thisis one of those topics that have probably been answered a thousnad times, but I:m new so bear with me.

I`m a telemarker who would love to get into the backcountry, but not alone. How do you meet otehr teliers?

Next... I:m thinking of buying a pass to Kagura... I haven:t been skiing anywhere here yet, so I don:t know if that`s a good Idea, or if you can even buy a pass there.

And what`s a good way of getting around? Just trains or is there a friendly car-pooling thing happening in Japan? I used to always just hitch-hike to whislter because everyone going that way had space for skis, but I don:t know about that in Japan.

any advice?

I:m living in Nagaoka... near Niigata

Well I guess posting here is a start. \:D

Welcome. Wish I could help you out. Almost set up for backcountry. Just need bindings and probe. Soon though.

Do you like skiing with Alpiners. If you ever get to Gifu give me a message.

Not very useful tips, but some to think about...

Take a backcountry safety course, allowing you to be part of the decision making process BC. Will also allow you to meet likeminded people. get the safety gear

Ask around for the ski area with the most tele skiers, go there and be annoyingly friendly to anyone with loose heels.

Don't limit yourself, go BC with alpiners and boarders too.

CAUTION - many BC sliders take huge risks, loose heeled or not and have been lucky to date. Make sure you know something about avalanche risk/mountain safety before you go out there. If you hook up with a rider who wants to ride BC the day after a storm, quietly remove them from your potential partner list.

Good to see more Tele skiers anywhere. I'd say you take what you can get anywhere. I haven't met any other Tele skiers near me, well accept one really. I haven't been out yet this year either as my skis wouldn't ship and I just ordered some new ones. I've got a truck here so I'd be willing to drive as well. As far as places to go though? I'm at a loss as well. I've asked around but nobody can tell me anywhere. So it's back to the old way, find a place that looks good and do some research. I'm looking around here and it looks good in some places but I haven't found any topo maps yet nor anyone else to go with either. Oh and then there's that small part about my beacon being lost as well....how does THAT happen. So I've got to get a new one and then my poles didn't make it...and well, it's been a nightmare so far but it'll get better. I'd be willing to drive to Niigata for skiing and north towards Aomori as well and east a bit.

Teledude, most bookstores in Japan carry a range of maps covering all mountain areas of Japan. Find the names of some areas you're interested in and have the shop clerk do the work finding them.

In Japanese, but a maps a map, right?

Yup, I've got a few from my BOE that are nice. I can't read kanji worth a damn but reading topo is the same. Thanks again. Now if someone could find my damn beacon and ship it to me I'd be golden.

If you are new, look at this place,which is run by an Assie, located near Kagura. Join his tour and you will start meeting a bunch of BC knuckelheads.

http://www.backcountryclub.com/

As for getting around, Car would be the best. But there are shuttle buses from Yuzawa to kagura. Hitch hiking is pretty much X (As for me, I was taught not to pick up HHs when growing up).

I thought about season pass myself. If you go about 20 times, it would pay off. I decided to get one for Niseko instead. I have already skied about 12 days this season.

A tip from another free heeler

Howdy toque.

I`m Ontario born, and in denial. Grew up in a village of a hundred people, moved around the world a bit, and wound up at UBC. Now I tend to say that`s where I`m from because that`s where I feel is my home.

hey telechick...

I just got back from a fun day in Kagura yesterday...here is my advice

if you have skins for your teles....avalanche gear and awareness....and a buddy, than by all means get a kagura pass...there is simply an insane amount of terrain accessible from kagura...huge faces of varying steepness kind of taunt you as you ride the lifts there....

if you just plan on riding in-bounds, than not sure a pass would be worth it (well...depends on cost of course...)

danz

I:m more into the out-of bounds stuff, though I don:t have a beacon until next paycheck, ... and I don:t have a buddy, but I:m sure that would be ammended by just getting out on the slopes... but why is in bounds not worth it?

hey, and do they have anything against you skinning up areas here?

kagura seems to allow going into the bc w/out anyproblems...at least none that I know of....

as for inbounds....sure, there are some nice runs (especially if you duck some ropes...), but the layout is kind of annoying...if I were only skiing inside the resort, I might get bored/frustrated....thats all...

dan

Agree with danz, Kagura has been marked as one of the classic alpine routes for years and very tolernat(compare to say Niseko) for people wants to hike up as long as you register with the office. Hike is easy - 1~2 hours with many different options and you can always come back to the resort. Since its so easy, many commercial tour companies use this area. One time I encountered a group of about 50 people at the top of the #1 Quad.