• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hardly anyone was out on em........think they were too big for the locals. Today the waves are normal and there are millions of people out there......seems to me to be like surfing down Oxford Street Saturday lunch time!!

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Mantas
Unbelievable. There will be more to this story. Hardly anyone dies from Dengue fever.

I had Dengue back in 2001. My wife was saying the other day that she read something that Dengue is pretty deadly 2nd time around. I don't know how true it is but Occy said in an interview that he had it a few years ago in Bali.

A "report" on FB so maybe completely wrong so my apologies if that's the case. Accidental OD on sleeping pills and morph.

Indo how bad was it, have a close mate who got it last year and he said that the above could quite possibly be true due to symptoms and self medication?

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
A "report" on FB so maybe completely wrong so my apologies if that's the case. Accidental OD on sleeping pills and morph.

Indo how bad was it, have a close mate who got it last year and he said that the above could quite possibly be true due to symptoms and self medication?

Pete, at the time it felt like hell & in the surf camp (lakei) I was in at the time rumours were that I had died! (only because I hadn't been seen in the water for a week). Doc in Dompu told my wife that I was going to croak it, because I hadn't taken any anti malarials. Though, when symptoms started I hammered Larium like there was no tomorrow and quickly flew to Bali for IV drip & other treatment.

My bro had Cerebal Malaria and was sick for a week in Japan on a visit from the Telo's. Docs dismissed it as malaria and after a week he was over it and just wanted to get home to get better. They wouldn't let him on the plane because he was too weak and his fever was out of control, 3 hours later in a large hospital in Japan whilst waiting to see a doc he went unconcious. The had to feed a drip from his groin into his heart which was very hard to watch. To this day I reckon that if he got on that flight he wouldn't be here today.

The power of those damn mosquito's ...

Thanks Indo. That gives it some perspective. Although you were both ill glad to hear you and your brother got through your scrapes. When we were in Lakeis the crew there were full on about the mossies and by the sounds of Im glad.

My best mate came back from Sumba about 12 years complaining of being a little off color and sure enough almost died there and then from cerebral malaria but in the end it did him no favours and a couple years later he lost his mind and his life in the full police siege nightmare and we all think that was a contributing factor.

Hopefully if nothing else this whole sorry episode with Andy might raise awareness with those that travel those parts so frequently. SAD SAD Days. But then we lost whole families in the Mentawis just a couple weeks ago, maybe whole villages.

Dengue fever may have played a part here, but only a minor one.

According to a police report, a prescription bottle of Alprazolam, a drug commonly used to treat anxiety disorders and panic attacks and available under the commonly known brand name Xanax, was found on a table. A prescription bottle for Ambien, a drug used to treat insomnia, was found on the bedside dresser table. Irons was found lying on his back with a sheet pulled up to his neck.

Very sad way to go for such a champion. RIP dude.

On a brighter note. Best waves around here for some time on Tues, Wed. friend

• 2 months later...

Had a pretty good session on Jan. 2. The southern part of Izu Peninsula has been getting some pretty good waves. Surprisingly consistent actually. Forecast is for more this weekend so I might go check it out! Glad to hear you scored Mantas!

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Had a pretty good session on Jan. 2. The southern part of Izu Peninsula has been getting some pretty good waves. Surprisingly consistent actually. Forecast is for more this weekend so I might go check it out! Glad to hear you scored Mantas!

Nothing much around here but there are always a few guys out at the beach break. Tatado looks good though.

Man, when I was up in Hokkaido (Rumoi) for the winter break there were some really nice sets coming through. I can't believe it now but we used to surf in the winter up there all the time....gorgeous point breaks. Temperatures were way below zero and we'd go out for 30 minute sessions and then wade through the snow and warm up in the cars and then go out again. I'm way to old and soft for that now.
Originally Posted By: Chriselle
Temperatures were way below zero and we'd go out for 30 minute sessions and then wade through the snow and warm up in the cars and then go out again. I'm way to old and soft for that now.

That's hard core. I'd like to try that one day. The surf would want to be very good.