• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got some good ones on Saturday at the left over the bay. Love that wave. a swell with a bit of East in it really fires up this place.

What's north wall like Indo. Is it a wedgy type peak?

• 2 months later...

I took these pics at Zenibako, halfway between Sapporo and Otaru, on the 29th of December. It was the tail end of a healthy swell that accompanied SW Hokkaido's Boxing Day snowstorm.

I've got acres of respect for these guys. I wish I could show these pics to all the people who used to call me crazy for surfing the south coast of WA in winter. This makes that look tropical...

greenroome_2.JPG

Nice long walling left and the occasional short right.

greenroome_3.JPG

Yellow card on this play. Generally very well-behaved.

greenroome_4.JPG

With men this tough it was no surprise that women appeared in numbers before long.

greenroome_5.JPG

Close to public transport.

greenroome_6.JPG

Back to the car boys. I can almost excuse the idling, just this once.

greenroome_1.JPG

Nope. Loooooong flat spells interspersed by short period of swell accompanied by onshore winds. This place fires on an east swell. a few have been promised but nothing delivered yet.

Greenroome, awesome pics mate. I'm always curious about these obscure surf spots. The coldest water I've surfed in was in southern Chile. It was about 9-10 deg. I'm guessing that these guys were in a wee bit colder than that. Any idea what the temp was.

BTW where were you. wink

Sorry to hear about the flat spells/onshores Mantas. I know that summer funk only too well. That's why I took up spearfishing.

It was about 0 degrees, and my right hand was aching from being out of the glove to take the photos. Creeks flowing into the sea had a three inch ice top on them. Not sure of the ocean water temp.

Where was I? I was wearing four layers and a jacket on the beach! smile

I've got too much gear as it is. Wanna stay light. Plenty of pits for me back in WA.

Originally Posted By: Greenroome
Sorry to hear about the flat spells/onshores Mantas. I know that summer funk only too well. That's why I took up spearfishing.

Not having much luck there either. So far I've missed 2 kingfish and a Jew.
My mate got a 25 kg Jew yesterday about kilometer from here.

That water is fru@#ing freezing. They must have some damm fine rubber. I'd like to give it a crack though, just for the novelty value.

Not having much luck there either. So far I've missed 2 kingfish and a Jew.

Man, that would make me furious. Some of the swearing I've done underwater whilst re-loading I reckon would have been audible from the moon had it been in the open air. It's a kind of good fury though. Makes the perfect shots more meaningful. Doesn't make dinner though.

Yeah, it was wickedly cold at Zenibako but the dudes were fully covered in thick gear, pulling off fluid moves and staying out for ages. They 'seemed' warm enough.

Check out the beach shack:

greenroome_7.JPG

Tough conditions stumbling out the door and dodging the Ishikari Express if you get too wasted with the boys. lol

nice pics greenroome. like manatas, i like looking at obscure surf spots.

no surf for me in ages. back in perth at the moment, working hard and stashing cash for next year. been grovelling in sloppy little windwaves and the odd surf down south, just waiting for school holidays to end before spending more time down there

i'm also getting emails from my mate in the mentawais, and they've been getting good consistent waves most days with no one else around. lucky buggers

Yep. It seems universally agreed that summer sucks (for surf)

Originally Posted By: Greenroome

Man, that would make me furious. Some of the swearing I've done underwater whilst re-loading I reckon would have been audible from the moon had it been in the open air.

lol Can relate to that alright.

The worst part is that the opportunities to spear big fish are few and far between, so missing your shot doubles the pain.

Some dude somewhere has to open up a snowboard/surf resort. heh?

ahhhh, yes. i need to get my sh1t together. i've droppped the ball lately.will get em up in the next week or so.

maybe someone should start a fishing thread...?

ok, off for a sunday morning grovel now. not much of a surf, but more of an excuse to hang out, eat homemade pies, drink beers and bomb some little hills on a skatey.

man, alkimos is seriously spooky - something weird always happens to me out there.

everyone in perth is on shark watch at the moment. a bloke got chomped down n rockingham last weekend and there's been daily sightings. mostly it's just media hysteria though

surfed very poor scarborough this morning. the outer reefs woulda been fun but we didn't have a boat. oh well....

got to sneak off for some down south trips in the next few weeks, but mostly i'm just biding my time til i head back to indo. faaaaaark, that place rocks!

Hey Spook I live in Scarbs, if you are here again feel free to look me up for a coffee or beer on the patio smile 0424 312 500

Must say have been a bit hesitant in the water of late. About 3 months ago at scarbs had a 10 - 12 footer swim inbetween me and a mate who were sitting about 5m apart. It scared the crap out of us.......