• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen... I am off to Bali on the 29th for a few days. Wondering whether to take my own board or avoid the hassle and rent/buy something when I get there. As you've guessed if you've read any of my posts in this thread I am just a flailer and not a performance surfer or anything. I actually really like my funboard (7'10" I think) but also happy to try anything else and try new boards that you can use in Bali swell but not in the Japan "waves". Any thoughts from the old hands? Anything else a guy should know before heading out to Bali for the first time?

Indo was probably the last one there, I haven't been for 10 years.

Have a great trip mate thumbsup Make sure you post some photos of you in a stand up spitting pit at Padang Padang. (that break is so good, they named it twice)

I havent been since 1991 and i only transitted from java to lombok..

I think you will be able to rent boards over there quite easily. I am pretty sure of it , in fact.

Check if you can take surfboards longer than 7' on the plane.. not sure about that one..

Dreamlands may be good for you afaik..

I surfed at Susan Gilmour today Koko. Some solid ones pushing through. There was only 2 guys out from Merewether to Bar. I couldn't work it out. Where was everyone?

This has been a great winter for waves. 8 foot yesterday 5-6 today. More swell comming this weekend.

smile

I wouldnt rent a car and drive there, bit of a nightmare afaik.

better off getting bemos around or hire some dude for the day.

its very dangerous driving over there..

especially bikes..

imho...

Kingo,

7'10 will be no worries on a plane as long as you are under weight.

I think because of the power of the waves in Bali, you should be able to get away with a shorter board (7'0ish).

If you are staying in the Kuta-Legian areas in Bali you won't need a car as beach is in walking distance. Rentals are OK, not as dodgy as everyone makes it out to be.. all hyped. But too much traffic round kuta, so grab a scooter with a board rack and get around that way.

Keep off the reefs as it doesn't sound like you have the skills needed yet.

If you need to rent a board plenty of places.. Indo dreams, just off poppies 2, sixth sense & the Pit (all mates of mine) can give you a good deal. Or ya can just rent from the beach.

Enjoy....

Thnaks fellas. Yes, I don't think reef-grate would be a particularly good look to bring back to Tokyo so for the time being I'll be playing it conservative I think... will definitely go and watch the decent guys showing how it's done though.

If the waves are up, head down to Uluwatu. You can check the surf and visit the Temple at the same time.. If you need specifics, just PM me.

Lucky bugger!

(but I'll be in Ballina next week! razz )

lol Didn't take my farkin board!!! veryangry Wasn't that kind of trip. That point break is my fav spot down south mate. And ther were a few guys out, but that was a bit of a clean-up set that came through and caught them by surprise. Remember that photo I had on my wall in my apartment in a frame? Same spot. Here are a few more from there.

353395130_EBoQ2-XL.jpg

353400059_FAHiV-XL.jpg

353400925_rAKgp-XL.jpg

353414310_m7vdh-XL.jpg

353357124_Xz2vX-XL.jpg