coool mantas. new calendonia sounds tempting. aahhh, mostly i'm just sitting at a desk with a freaking tie on and dreaming of exotic surf....

yellowsnow - purely out of curiosity, what's Miyakejima like? when we were living in hokkaido some of our friends would wax lyrical about islands just south of tokyo and long uncrowded pointbreaks. i never knew whether to believe them or not

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Mantas:
My mates went to the Caroline islands last year and didn't even get a wave, but I suppose you can get that anywhere.
Yep can happen, and I have heard of a few cases like that before. My wife's best mate is set up there with a boat now, so I've got a place to stay, a boat to use and will only be done if I can do it for more than 3 weeks.

Spook the other 'jima's' are cool enough very quite but a little rocky, there are boat trips out to them and are pretty cheap, most people go there for sight seeing. But Miyakejima is/was unpopulated because it is an active volcano. I havnt been on there yet because that boat trip is significantly longer and I don't think you are allowed to stay on the island for long. There is only one boat every week or so, so it might be a good camping trip. If it goes Mount St Helens you are dead :p

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mantas:
My mates went to the Caroline islands last year and didn't even get a wave, but I suppose you can get that anywhere.
Yep can happen, and I have heard of a few cases like that before. My wife's best mate is set up there with a boat now, so I've got a place to stay, a boat to use and will only be done if I can do it for more than 3 weeks.
I'm going to go out on a limb here.

I reckon the southern swells ie. swells generated in the southern oceans then travel north, are more consistent in nature than northern hemisphere swells. I Hear a lot about long flat spells in places like the Philippines, Micronesia ect. I'm not saying that they don't get as good a wave, just talking consistency.

Any takers on that one.

The Carorlines are supposed to be sick if you get it on. A lot easier to get to from where you are than for us.

I'll be ya best mate too Indo if you get a boat set up there \:D

I hear ya Mantas,

Peak season in the CI's is dec-jan & feb. Pretty craaap outta that. For consistency I'd agree with you. That's why I want to do a decent stint there plus the free accom!. If it is flat, I'll have a boat, my kikkoman soy and wasabi already to catch me some sashimi! (prefer to do it after a surf though ;\) )

I'll be hitting them up from OZ, so a prick to get to. worse from where you are.

• 2 weeks later...

siiiick pics matas. the middle pic looks perfect, the first one is hefty as hell! not sure i'd be as relaxed as the bloke in red... he's setting up for the pit perfectly.

that's dorian, mark matthews and some other dude i think. i just got the new ASL (which is a generally crap read) and they had pics from that trip in there. they were all calling it the best waves they've ever had, and ted grambeau backed up this pretty big call.

i really like seeing ganrly pics like that bottom one though. faaaark. imagine copping that on the head!

• 2 weeks later...

forecasts are a wonderful thing, except for when you know the surf is going to be cooking and there's jack all you can do about it.

next week is going to be 6 foot, with all day offshores for 5 days straight. it's rare to get such favourable winds in WA. much as i want to sack work off and drive down south, it's just not going to happen.

i'm going to sit in the corner and sulk now.

• 2 weeks later...

Good job you didn't go Spook.

I've actually been there during a swell like that. I paddled out and bobbed around on the shoulder for a while then paddled in. Ended up surfing South point at 5-6 foot

The surfing season is well under way in Chiba - the World Longboard Championships are June 11 to 16, at Taito Beach. If anyone is interested in joining a bunch of us for a beach/surfing/competition watching weekend, there is a great backpackers place there - cheap and great BBQs. Lemme know by PM and maybe we can start an SJ beach scene this summer.

Mantas, South Point at 5-6 is unbelievably fun isn't it? \:\) Love that place. Got some good waves there last year when I was back in Aus. It almost never disappoints. Did you get out at North Point? That wave can get quite hairy with the razor sharp rocks and the suck that it provides. Did you see much of the rest of the SW?

Spook, nice to have a crash pad near the beach. Subi is nice and central though eh.

the hairiest thing about north point are the crowds!

i'm in the process of hunting for a new car. once that's in the bag i'll hitting the road more often. i'm also starting to venture further to the south coast. the waves aren't as classy, but they are totally empty, which is good.

yep down there. it's crazy. you can surf on a saturday morning by yourself.

ahhh, it's so relaxing not having to hustle for waves. that is how it's supposed to be. i'm over all the aggro and the 'cool scene' that seems to dominate surfing these days.

just like it's relaxing doing powder laps in japan, and knowing it's not going to get tracked.