• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, seeing as you asked, it wasn't the only reason, but it was a start. They had difficultly with a surfer who was Australian, thinking, independently minded, bearded and coupled with a Japanese girl to whom they spoke pidgin English, even though she spoke better English than they did. Many Australian small town working class surfers can't come to terms with the fact that an Australian citizen isn't necessarily an Aussie just like them. And that confusion leads to resentment and nastiness.

It didn't worry me much, I got on really well with a builder from the central coast who was living there and doing construction work in return (he was mates with the guy that ran the surf camp). There and also a builder turned property developer from NZ. He was a big long haired burly fella that surfed big waves and at almost 50 years of age had a lot worth listening to. We surfed together on the bigger onshore storm days and got on great. I also spent some time talking to a blind and deaf 60 year old guy who came with the NZ surfer and his wife. This older guy lived a great life and then pop, whent deaf and blind. He had been snorkelling that day and, over a Fiji Bitter, told me what the water felt like.

The gang of north coast Aussies all huddled together and basically resented anything that didn't fit in their tunnel vision understanding of people. They spent most of the time refering to a quietly spoken Spanish surfer as a wog.

I also got on good with a primary school maths teacher from near the Goldy. His boys and their mates were 15 years old and likely future pros (and wave thieving hogs). But their dad was a nice guy who enjoyed surfing. Likewise his buddy who has probably glassed some of the boards you have ridden over the years.

All good crew except for the bunch that couldn't handle anything different, and that included people having an opinion about beer.

Mantas, I know what you were getting at by asking "are you sure that's why they wouldn't talk to you" and FU \:\) , Politely.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderpants:
About Beer: In myopinion beer should be served at what i call basement temperature 12-14 degrees. not colder than that. stomach pain and less taste.

Spud, where in Vaterland are you located?
12-14 degrees. Too warm for me.

Thunder, I am in Düsseldorf, home of Alt Beer.

yeah i thought that was too warm for you, i like a cold one too, but i can go drinking all night if i get the tempered ones.

Düsseldorf, hmm have you thought about going to Schreveningen for surfing?

i never actually surfed there, but Netherlands offers some nice beers and (probably crappy) surf from the late fall. If you are hungry enough, i guess you could have some fun.

Its on my radar. But I really don't like cold water. Surfing is fun, cold water is bloody uncomfortable and unless the waves are amazing, it wipes out any fun. I regret now not surfing in the UK, but again, cold water, long drive from where I lived and very inconsistent crowded swell.

I can be at the Netherlands coast in 2 hours.

Quote:
Originally posted by db le spud:
Many Australian small town working class surfers can't come to terms with the fact that an Australian citizen isn't necessarily an Aussie just like them. And that confusion leads to resentment and nastiness.

Quote:
I’ve never much liked the narrow minded Aussie yobbo culture of surfing (in Australia),
 Quote:
The other thing they don't get is that the negative emotion towards "imported" only holds water because Asutralia is itself so isolated plus defensive/resentful about foreign things being 'upper class' (its a hang-over from the English working class habit that grew from being a harmless character spot in Mother England to a fuggin swollen blister when relocated to remote Australia
 Quote:
I reckon I'd struggle to drink Australian beer ever again. Like the people, Australian beer is all the same. QUOTE]

Mantas, I know what you were getting at by asking "are you sure that's why they wouldn't talk to you" and FU , Politely.
Pretty nasty Stuff Spud. How is it that no matter what the thread topic your comments all end up with your loathing of all things Australian? This was from this thread alone.

I know the kind of people your talking about.
But to use such broad sweeping statements, stereotyping and generalisations is something I won't take. (more of a working class ignorant trait really)
Just remember YOU are doing all the attacking here. I'M doing the defending.
You have made your choice and I respect that, but I happen to be very proud of my country. I know it's not perfect, but I love it passionately, warts and all. Every time you attack it or it's people i will defend it. And I can take a joke. You only have to look at some of my posts to see that.
I've already had a lecture from you about the diverse people and opinions in this forum.

I Don't have a problem with the 5000 people on the forums opinions. Just yours. I don't care if your the Japanese presedent and you have 1000 000 posts to your credit.

Jeez man...... Why does it get under your skin so much?. What did we ever do to you.? Haven't you noticed how much you bag Aussies? If I felt that much loathing about my country of birth I would of burnt my passport long ago. I bet yours is tucked safely in the bottom draw. Just in case things turn to shit.

How do you manage to turn a nice thread about surfing into 'Spud's therapy session for his loathing of Australia '!

There ate lots of good reasons to go to Netherlands

Queens day is great fun.

North Sea Jazz festival lots of great music, not only jazz (lets not discuss music now)

Even if you are not in to weed and prostitutes, Amsterdam is a wonderful city.

I agree with you on cold and surf, it's a bad combination, but at least the cold scares most of the crowd away.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mantas:
 Quote:
Originally posted by db le spud:
Many Australian small town working class surfers can't come to terms with the fact that an Australian citizen isn't necessarily an Aussie just like them. And that confusion leads to resentment and nastiness.

Quote:
I’ve never much liked the narrow minded Aussie yobbo culture of surfing (in Australia),
 Quote:
The other thing they don't get is that the negative emotion towards "imported" only holds water because Asutralia is itself so isolated plus defensive/resentful about foreign things being 'upper class' (its a hang-over from the English working class habit that grew from being a harmless character spot in Mother England to a fuggin swollen blister when relocated to remote Australia
 Quote:
I reckon I'd struggle to drink Australian beer ever again. Like the people, Australian beer is all the same. QUOTE]

Mantas, I know what you were getting at by asking "are you sure that's why they wouldn't talk to you" and FU , Politely.
Pretty nasty Stuff Spud. How is it that no matter what the thread topic your comments all end up with your loathing of all things Australian? This was from this thread alone.

I know the kind of people your talking about.
But to use such broad sweeping statements, stereotyping and generalisations is something I won't take. (more of a working class ignorant trait really)
Just remember YOU are doing all the attacking here. I'M doing the defending.
You have made your choice and I respect that, but I happen to be very proud of my country. I know it's not perfect, but I love it passionately, warts and all. Every time you attack it or it's people i will defend it. And I can take a joke. You only have to look at some of my posts to see that.
I've already had a lecture from you about the diverse people and opinions in this forum.

I Don't have a problem with the 5000 people on the forums opinions. Just yours. I don't care if your the Japanese presedent and you have 1000 000 posts to your credit.

Jeez man...... Why does it get under your skin so much?. What did we ever do to you.? Haven't you noticed how much you bag Aussies? If I felt that much loathing about my country of birth I would of burnt my passport long ago. I bet yours is tucked safely in the bottom draw. Just in case things turn to shit.

How do you manage to turn a nice thread about surfing into 'Spud's therapy session for his loathing of Australia '!
yeah, fair point.

ps - although some of your quoted snippets above are not relevant to my opinion about Australia eg, not liking Australian beer is not relevant, its a matter of tastebuds, nothing more. However you took it as an attack on Australia, which kind of supports one of my points. And some other points do actually come close to the situation. It just that I lay them on too thick and fast, and that's because I seem to have an issue with Aussiness, and the most xenophobic people I know are also Aussie surfers. That likely why I ended up here (that and my chip). I bet I'd fail the planned Australian Government Migration 'Aussie Values' test. ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mantas:
BP I thought you would be a surfer ?
Bodyboarder mate. Have been following this thread with interest and envy at many of the places you guys have surfed. I grew up hitting the Perth surrounds and the Margaret River region as often as possible. Have had a severely depressed time in Hiroshima due to lack of waves! (just had to learn to do without \:\( ) Even when I have managed to score decent waves here, they have paled in comparison to what I grew up surfing.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:

And here's a shot of my Uncle..
Can you guess who it is?
Grannis06_L.jpg
I'm taking a long shot here... Moses?

No, really, it's "One of the truly great surfers of the postwar era, Midget Farrelly [who] has become part of a polarized debate in his Australian homeland."

It seems like the Australian homeland is the home of polarized debate, eh boys?

Well, speaking of SW WA, heres a couple of pics from the weekend. As we came in a gaggle of pros with their photo and video entourage rocked up and started tearing the place apart. The highlight was watching ry craike almost nail a massive rodeo/backflip thing. He was about 5 foot above the lip, absolutely mad.

spook_6.jpg

spook_5.jpg

**** off CB. Like you've never bodyboarded! :p

Same old stupid argument like with ski/snowboard. If you enjoy it who cares. Besides, surfers can ride some waves better, and bodyboarders can ride other waves better. Either way both are enjoying the ocean and the waves. So stop trying to be a shit stirrer CB! ;\)

BTW spook, where is that? It's not the main break is it? The right is holding up really nicely.

Got some awesome surf at South Point in August when I was down there. Just me and a mate for 3 hours at about head to 1.5 head height \:\)

my bro and I only ususally used a bodyboard as a skimboard so we could do tricks-on-shore (what we called it)

Get some sick beach breaks right on shore in Hawaii, i.e. Sandy beach, and can launch up in the air or get some sick tubes cool.gif

If Im out in the water Im paddlin on me surfboard...

mate, pulling into a nice dredging beachie is much more fun (not to mention safer) on a bodyboard. If I lived near Sandy beach when I was younger, I woulda been throwing myself into those waves and quite possibly giving myself permanent back injuries in the process lol.gif

bushpig, it's ah, um, don't wanna say. not exactly a secret spot but there's no need to name names. its in front of a carpark (hint hint).

sent some pics of a secret spot to a mate the other day, they ended up doing the email forward thing and landing in the inbox of a surfing mag editor. not happy about that.

doesn't matter what you ride really, as long as you're having fun. sometimes it can't all get a bit serious in the lineup.