• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GYOZA!

So like a home-made version then.   Sounds good to me.

I was avoiding ramen over summer, just too hot, but got back into it the last few weeks. Miso negi. Can't beat it.

:yummy:

Will try that.

Recommendations on kind of beer?

A lager is best I believe as it's fizzier.....the bubbles make the batter light, the taste doesn't really affect the batter

Sorry guys, I got the measures wrong. It is 1 cup of flour and 1 1/2 cups beer. Also, you need to toss the onion rings in flour before dunking them in the batter.

I think TB is right about the lager, I used an amber ale which worked just fine.

I read somewhere the other day that onions absorb bacteria FAST once cut.

Apparently the offending item in toxic potato salad is the onion - not mayo.

Freshly cut no problem.

Cut and left for an hour or two, not good.

Apparently cutting an onion and leaving by your bedside when you are ill will help it gather up the bacteria you exhale, chuck it in th morning. I've never tried this, no onion in the house today, but next time I have some I am going to give it a go.

Aha,

for anyone else

A furphy, also commonly spelled furfie, is Australian slang for a rumour, or an erroneous or improbable story. The word is derived from water carts designed and made by a company established by John Furphy: J. Furphy & Sons of Shepparton, Victoria. The steel and cast iron tanks were first made in the 1880s and were used on farms and by stock agents. Many Furphy water carts were used to take water to Australian Army personnel during World War I in Australia, Europe and the Middle East. The carts, with "J. Furphy & Sons" written on their tanks, became popular as gathering places where soldiers could exchange gossip, rumours and fanciful tales—much like today's water cooler discussion.

Another suggested explanation is that the rumbling of an approaching water cart sounded like the firing of artillery, thus causing a false alarm. It is also used to refer to a foolish mistake, although the etymology of that is uncertain.

It is possible that the word was also influenced by John Furphy's equally prominent brother, the popular 19th century Australian author, Joseph Furphy (1843–1913). However, Joseph was generally published under the pseudonym "Tom Collins".

• 4 weeks later...

They're sliced and fried with the skins on.

With a tin, you could put the lid on, go get another beer and come back, lift the lid and continue.

With a packet, you'd have to finish the packet, go get another beer and open another packet.

Really crunchy, almost like a cracker crunch.

YC-2011-LAMB-100g-BLK.jpg