• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GYOZA!

So like a home-made version then.   Sounds good to me.

I was avoiding ramen over summer, just too hot, but got back into it the last few weeks. Miso negi. Can't beat it.

Never had one of them what are they like? Just spongey stuff with creamy filling?

They're not spongey, or at least shouldn't be. They're a kind of meringue, so lightly crisp and then melty chewy is where its at. You make em with almond powder.

Pretty good, if expensive for what you get.

If you grow beetroot, you can eat all the thinnings. Its in many of them bags of "baby leaf" salad. The dark green leaf with the big red vein (ooh err missus).

after finally getting a jar of beetroot up at the base, 4 and a half years after coming here, I walked into my local supermarket to find that they actually sell cans of beetroot!! :doh: They aren't in vinegar BUT I had handily finished my jar (I love beetroot) and had all that lovely vinegar left over, quick transfer later and voila!! New jar of pickled beetroot!! :yummy:

The best way to describe it would be as a homage to the carbohydrate. You take a tattie scone (I believe the English call it a “potato farl” – no poetry in that name) and, having fried it, you place it within the welcoming confines of a generously buttered morning roll. And then… well, bliss ensues.

Welcome to my Scottish childhood. Much hilarity is poked at the diet of us Scots and, I’m afraid, with very good reason. As a nation, we eat terribly. The irony is that we have some of the world’s finest produce. The shellfish of our west coast finds itself on the menu at J Sheekey, the Ivy and any number of fine-dining restaurants across the Kingdom. Our raspberries are the very epitome of sharp berry sweetness. Scottish lamb is superb. And when it comes to pork, there are few finer examples in Europe. The beef, obviously, speaks for itself.

And still we Scots eat badly. If you ever find yourself in my home town and choose to order a “Glasgow Salad”, be forewarned that there is nothing green or salad-like on the plate. Pie, beans and chips: that is a Glasgow Salad.

As a food lover, I find it heartbreaking when I come across schoolchildren in the same city consuming a breakfast of crisps and Irn-Bru. These are food facts that blend and meld with the mythology of battered and deep-fried chocolate bars that won’t help you work, require you to rest and remove the ability to play.

Research carried out by Oxford University suggests that if Scots switched to a more “English” diet that was lower in saturated fats and salt, and contained greater levels of fruit and vegetables, it could lead to just under 4,000 fewer deaths a year. As it stands, life expectancy in Scotland is almost four years below the European average, and that’s after an improvement over the past 30 years. Food for thought.

The notion of there being a difference between a “Scottish” and “English” diet may, prima facie, seem risible, but there is much truth in it. I remember leaving Scotland almost 20 years ago for the glittering lights of a bustling London. I was struck by the marked differences between the countries. You will struggle to get a plate of mince and tatties, stovies or even the relatively healthy cock-a-leekie soup south of Hadrian’s Wall.

Scotland is in every way a northern European nation. Step off a train at Pitlochry and one at Peckham in late January and tell me you don’t notice the meteorological difference. Historically, Scotland was a country predicated on heavy industry – tough, physical work. Also, it was a poorer place than England – despite its involvement at the very heart of Empire, the wealth wasn’t shared.

Combine the geography, the industry and the poverty and one starts to understand why there should be such marked differences in diet. When it comes to building ships or mining coal at sub-zero temperatures, you need more than a bowl of Bircher muesli to keep you going. A fried breakfast, carnally carbohydrate, piled high with protein, was a necessity rather than a choice.

Even after two decades and much education in matters gastronomic, I still miss some of the staples of my childhood, none of them healthy. I’ll be home in a couple of weeks and I will almost definitely enjoy a deep-fried pizza supper. I know it’s unhealthy; I know it is fundamentally wrong; but it is also delicious. It tastes of my 1970s, Glasgow drizzle and a time when we had an international football team that qualified for major tournaments. Luckily, given my Punjabi heritage, I was also that rare Scot who was acquainted with the vegetable – some of the pulses we ate were so obscure they have no English name.

The devolved government in Edinburgh has resurrected plans to change the pricing of alcohol in an attempt to tame the famous Scottish sport of drunkenness. Perhaps it should consider a similarly interventionist policy with our food?

It is a genuine conundrum for politicians and thinkers. It’s all about rights and responsibilities. Freedom, the right to make personal choices, is now at the very heart of our lives, the sine qua non of the free market. Yet if these choices, as in the case of the Scottish diet, leave the state – and the taxpayer – having to pick up the health-care pieces, is that a fair and equitable arrangement?

I have no answers. I suppose the only way forward is through gradual education. In the past three decades, Scottish life expectancy has risen by seven years. Small steps. Perhaps, then, when I return home this month I will conservatively scrape a thin layer of an olive-oil-based spread on a single piece of Ryvita, atop which I will place a grilled potato scone. At least that way I may eke out another few years to remember how delicious the original version was.

Tattie Scones........mmmmm.....breakfast just isn't breakfast without them!! I happily make my own nowadays, even better than the store bought ones as I can make em the size of dinner plates!!! :yummy:

what's your fave dish from there?

Oops didn't say did I. Loads. They do a great spicy yakitori, potato cheese kind of thing, yakiniku.... ooooh. Each one has a real distinctive taste.

I ate too much.

Has anybody done the Burger King Whopper, All-u-Can-Eat? I went today at lunchtime and managed 3 Whoppers in 30 mins (thats including 1 portion of Large Fries and a large Coke). Don't think I'll need to eat for a few days now

Has anybody done the Burger King Whopper, All-u-Can-Eat? I went today at lunchtime and managed 3 Whoppers in 30 mins (thats including 1 portion of Large Fries and a large Coke). Don't think I'll need to eat for a few days now

:lol:

You only get 30 minutes?

Well done on the 3 Whoppers though.

Not sure I could do that, but I suppose if you go hungry and get your third on right at the end.....

Did you go in with a fully formed strategy and contingency plan too?

:lol:

You only get 30 minutes?

Well done on the 3 Whoppers though.

Not sure I could do that, but I suppose if you go hungry and get your third on right at the end.....

Did you go in with a fully formed strategy and contingency plan too?

actually I just figured to eat 2, but I texted my mate (who is house bound after a traffic accident on his motorbike) and he said to have one for him...well I was just finishing the 2nd, so that was mines and there was 7 mins left to go so I thought, damn I gotta do it. Thankfully you can finish after the 30 mins are up.....was feeling more than full while eating the 3rd...took a bit longer than the other 2......still haven't eaten anything since (had a few beers tho)