• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GYOZA!

So like a home-made version then.   Sounds good to me.

I was avoiding ramen over summer, just too hot, but got back into it the last few weeks. Miso negi. Can't beat it.

For curry fans in Japan, this palak paneer for 180 yen in most big supermarkets is really good! It's just like a restaurant curry. Add some jasmine rice from Costco and you have a well yummy lunch for almost zero effort and the price of two onigiri.

13841.jpg

Never that keen on the caramel things found here. I prefer mine sweeter. Perhaps that's what toffee is/ :doh:

I tried making caramels once using the most popular recipe on cookpad (Japanese recipe site, I looked there because they usually list ingredients that you can easily get in Japan). Anyway, I overcooked the mix and ended up with something that was very close to Thorton's toffee. Very hard, but softens in the mouth, pull your fillings out sticky chewy and pretty creamy. From that conclusive evidence, I suspect toffee might just be caramel with more of the moisture (in the cream, syrup etc.) boiled off before the mixture is allowed to cool.

Looking on Amazon, the ingredients for Thorntons Special Toffee include condensed milk before butter. It looks like they use condensed milk and veggie oil as a cheapo industrial substitute for cream. The "special chewy toffee" recipe on epicurious that folks claim to be very close to Thorntons has a lot of cream in it, along with golden syrup. The recipe I used was very similar but had the Japanese mitsu-ame clear syrup in place of the golden one, which is quite hard to find in inaka. 

Since mine came out as hit with a hammer toffee and not soft caramels, I got to eat it all by myself!