• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GYOZA!

So like a home-made version then.   Sounds good to me.

I was avoiding ramen over summer, just too hot, but got back into it the last few weeks. Miso negi. Can't beat it.

Los Angeles restaurant Choco Chicken, which opened a few weeks ago, serves chicken cooked in a 62 per cent chocolate crust, alongside chocolate ketchup, mashed potatoes with white chocolate chive butter and even chocolate seasoning.

The Japanese food I've had in the UK was shit and very expensive. 100 yen sushi for 500 yen a plate.

My kids are used to Japanese food though, so we usually end up going a couple of times.

"Sapporo Teppanyaki" with sets having highly original names such as Geisha, Samurai and Emperor!

My guess would be while it might be yummy, it would certainly be expensive and not as good as you could get down the local izakaya here.

I wonder if, in that most fine of Japanese traditions, they do not accept tips. ;)

Wagamamas is crud!! Yet people back home worship it!! The ramen is like cup ramen and the prices are mental.

I went to a "Japanese" place in Glasgow with the missus one time.....predictably it was pish....about as Japanese as Ho Chi Minh

I read recently about a Japanese place away to open up in Dundee....a sushi place....the guy is Malaysian and has never been to Japan....bet that place is gonna be good! He said he was gonna import the best fish from Japan.....so that'll mean a premium price for frozen fish....also, Arbroath is a fishing port 25 mins away by car....instead of sourcing some local fish he's gonna import from Japan....fish that has already been caught somewhere else and shipped to Japan then shipped back across the world...mmm....fresh!

The big hip Japanese dish in the UK is katsu curry. They make it with a yellowy Chinese takeaway style curry, and the katsu is chicken, not pork. It strikes me as putting in minimum effort.

I love chicken katsu curry!! :yummy:

Since that "Chinese" curry is in fact from Britain, as is the "Japanese" variety......I'd assume they aren't so far apart on the culinary evolutionary scale.

Actually I can't wait to get home and have some "real" Chinese food.....not the kind from China, but from British Chinese takeaway shops!! :yummy: