Yeah......like a spicy broth that has various types of toppings.....a bunch of vegetables and usually a hunk of meat with a side of rice. It's awesome

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GYOZA!

So like a home-made version then.   Sounds good to me.

I was avoiding ramen over summer, just too hot, but got back into it the last few weeks. Miso negi. Can't beat it.

Oops....didn't work uploading a pic from my Keitai....I'll upload later from my PC

Sakurawood smoked back bacon......

17C86800-A984-45C2-BD02-80027C4C8216_zpscdayxwhg.jpg

Sakurawood smoked belly bacon.....

552169A5-4F5F-404E-8EBD-84C222FE8E97_zps6yxr9bh2.jpg

You will have to wait a while as the rhubarb I used to grow in Kofu I left there and I am growing new plants for here. They are still too small to plant out so maybe can expect a few sticks this autumn if lucky.

Next year though I should have a lot more.

But if I get enough too make a crumble this year then I promise to take pics.

Interesting to see someone else's bacon. Ours comes out much darker. We smoke for about six hours. I used to measure the temp and stuff but now I just cold smoke.

It mightn't keep as long in the fridge as bacon smoked at a higher temp, but we put any left over it in the freezer. I think the fat starts melting at 65C, so hot smoked bacon will be drier.

I want to try smoking some salmon or trout, but you have to keep that under 30C for much longer, 15 to 20 hours. You can't do at this time of year.

Mines isn't smoked for anything like as long as I want to do it but I have to do it on the stovetop so controlling temp is a problem as is the house filling up with smoke!! :)

So it gets enough to give it a nice smoky flavour

Sounds very resourceful to me! I only got into smoking because my neighbour taught me about it.

I sometimes barbecue indoors. We've got in IH cooker so its flat and its easy to put a little gas grill on the top under the extractor. Its one of these by Iwatani. It uses the same gas cassettes as the single burners you use for nabe. We've got one of them grooved frying pans too, but proper grilling gives you the best taste. Our charcoal barbecue gets kept back for full pig outs.

cb-rbt-a.jpg

Even with the extractor on full, we still get a bit of smoke in the house. Especially with fatty meat like pork belly.