• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GYOZA!

So like a home-made version then.   Sounds good to me.

I was avoiding ramen over summer, just too hot, but got back into it the last few weeks. Miso negi. Can't beat it.

Is that what Japanese folks call "kata ro-su"? "Ro-su" has the same fleshy round bit as back bacon, but they don't leave it connected to the belly.

Either way, kata ro-su makes cho yummy roast pork.

DSCF9228_1.jpg

Stocked up on Box of Chocolates 'sandwiches' at the weekend.

12 of them.

I will try to keep it to one a day. :lol:

Yeah it's called ロース

It's the loin cut. They don't cure it though and make bacon, u gotta do that yourself

I think Japanese butchers are a bit slack with their naming and that basically the whole top of the pig is the "ro-su", with the bit towards the front being the "kata-rosu". Its a bit silly calling any cut "roast" because you can roast the whole pig. Preferably with the skin on for tons of crackling.

You can ask for "kata-rosu" and get something different every time. We do a group smoking of up to 60kg at a time and some of the cuts other people bring as "kata-ro-su" look more like the "ro-su" they sell in the supermarket for tonkatsu and sauteeing. Typical ro-su has a big strip of fat along one side, but the characteristic round fleshy bit is much leaner than the shoulder. Ro-su is also generally more expensive than kata-ro-su.

Yeah it's called ロース

It's the loin cut. They don't cure it though and make bacon, u gotta do that yourself

I think Japanese butchers are a bit slack with their naming and that basically the whole top of the pig is the "ro-su", with the bit towards the front being the "kata-rosu". Its a bit silly calling any cut "roast" because you can roast the whole pig. Preferably with the skin on for tons of crackling.

You can ask for "kata-rosu" and get something different every time. We do a group smoking of up to 60kg at a time and some of the cuts other people bring as "kata-ro-su" look more like the "ro-su" they sell in the supermarket for tonkatsu and sauteeing. Typical ro-su has a big strip of fat along one side, but the characteristic round fleshy bit is much leaner than the shoulder. Ro-su is also generally more expensive than kata-ro-su.

No crackling for me.....bacon with the rind.. :naughty:

I usually tell the butcher to pick one that has a nice layer of fat on one side.....it helps when curing to not totally dry the meat too much. This time I forgot tho and I didn't get a full cap of fat