• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GYOZA!

So like a home-made version then.   Sounds good to me.

I was avoiding ramen over summer, just too hot, but got back into it the last few weeks. Miso negi. Can't beat it.

This year we had a change in the hotels Chef and he suggested that the hotel have a sashimi night once a week. (I have leant from the first season in hotel industry never get on the wrong side of the Chef.) Toshiro the Chef became my best mate. So Toshi pull me aside just before the first sashimi night and ask me taste same sashimi basashi. I look at it and replied in a delighted tone Kobi !! Toshi relied no Basashi. I assume this meant Sashimi Kobi and started to delight myself in this beautiful prepared dish of raw meat. Still to this day it is the best meat dish that I had ever consumed. I found out latter that night what basashi actual was. If you ever came across a menu with Basashi on it ,give it a try.

Nitrite is a preservative, is it really necessary or will salt do the biz?

I'm thinking of smoking some with Sichaun chillies.

It's anti-microbial and not using it means you run a slight risk of botulism. You CAN make it with just salt but it doesn't preserve it as long and it will mean that the bacon will look grey as opposed to pink and it will taste more like pork and not bacon. Old traditional methods also used nitrite in the form of saltpetre so it's not really a modern day phenomenon. The level of nitrite used is tiny and is much less than levels that occur naturally in things like celery ( which is why "healthy, nitrite free" bacon producers use celery powder in place of nitrite salts when making their bacon.....it STILL has nitrites in it, just it's considered natural and not an additive because it comes from celery powder)

Worth checking out, speaking as someone who is, in fact, typing, and not actually speaking at all.

Not flavorful like a Thai curry, but at least it is hot enough to be able to relive the experience the next day, at the other end.

Always a good sign in a curry.

:thumbsup: