• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GYOZA!

So like a home-made version then.   Sounds good to me.

I was avoiding ramen over summer, just too hot, but got back into it the last few weeks. Miso negi. Can't beat it.

For anyone wanting to lose weight, soba's a good way to do it. Tastes great too!

I love lamb/mutton, but I'm not keen on genghis khan. Basically most Japanese people think lamb is kusai, so they end up cooking it in a powerful sauce to overcome the kusai-ness. Unfortunately, the sauce is much more kusai (too much ginger etc.) than the actual meat. That said, I seem to remember the genghis khan I had in Hokkaido being better than that I've had elsewhere. There is a "genghis khan street" in Nagano on Route 19 just south of the turnoff for the toll tunnel to Hakuba, but we went to the most famous place on it and I wasn't impressed.

If you can get lamb shoulder, add salt, pepper, rosemary, and whole cloves of garlic and stick in the oven for three to four hours. You can watch Jamie Oliver doing it on Youtube. Fantastic food for minimal effort. Just over a 1000 yen a kilo in Japan, so way cheaper than lamb chops or a leg roast too.

I've had it in Hokkaido. There is no marinade. Grilled on the hotplate unseasoned, dipping sauce if you like it. The fat n juice from the vegetables is quite enough.

It gets kusai when it gets near use by date. The fat just stinks something bad.

• Like 1

Lamb and mutton aren't kusai! It's just a prejudice that's common in Japanese people.

Wiki says there are two types of genghis kahn, one with unflavoured meat (nama) and one with flavoured (aji-tsuke). I think I might have had the nama type years and years ago at the Hotel Piano at Kiroro. Anyway that was the best genghis khan I've ever had. While I am more than happy to eat yaki tori with tare and yakiniku too, the genghis khan marinade tare tastes worse than lamb/mutton. Its really overpowering. Here's wiki's description. Note the "臭み消し".

味付け肉の発祥は、マツオ松尾ジンギスカンである。現在様々なメーカーで製造されるほか、個人精肉店や焼肉店などでも独自に製造・提供される。調味液には、醤油ベースが主で、他に味噌ベース・ベースなどがある。様々な香味野菜・果物を扱って製造され、それに肉が漬け込まれる。使用する肉は、ラム肉・マトン肉のどちらでも使用される。特にマトン肉は、強い匂いがあるが味にコクがあるため、臭み消し方法として利用される

Get the nama one if you can!

Could I interest you in some lamb nabe

008ZM206F8E551835B99FCl.jpg

008GZ6A10B2F9F69BAF696l.jpg

Lamb from inner Mongolia. Soup base on the left is paintstripper from hell. Sichuan chillies. Soupbase on the right is the mild garlic chicken broth. Ying yang hotpot.