• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GYOZA!

So like a home-made version then.   Sounds good to me.

I was avoiding ramen over summer, just too hot, but got back into it the last few weeks. Miso negi. Can't beat it.

I used to like wine gums too. Moreish is definitely a word.

Soubriquette has just had another visit from Yamagata TV. They promote local items on their website, and her awayuki is going to be the only cake clap.gif

I have recently been making some Tacos and other spicy foods and getting quite good at it, even if I do say so myself \:\)

I've never had battenburg, sounds nice.

Another TV company has turned up out of the blue. This time it's TVS, so she's getting national coverage. Apparently they have a morning infomercial programme, and soubriquette's Awayuki is going to feature this Thursday.

A free ad on national TV. She carries an aura of good karma, believe me.

Have you ever had the large ones? They are about 12 inches diameter. I used to take giant slices out of them and stuff myself.

Other great things are Cadburys creme eggs, traditional chocolate swan eggs.

I also love white Irish Grinder bread, the bread itself is white but the crust is almost black. It is great with 4 slices of corned beef(actual corned beef with corn and jelly) edam and swiss cheese, with brown sauce and crisps. Best sandwich in the world.

Cadburys say that the eggs have not got smaller its just that you have got bigger.

I said that to my mother that, that was cadburys official position. My mother irrationally angry and was ranting that she bought them for me in as a child and they were certainly bigger as she didn't even like them so she doesn't have an idealistic view of their size.

I remember also petit filous (spelling~) got small and more expensive and there was war over it in Ireland.

A dime bar is Crunchy on the inside and soft on the outside.

Kind of like armadillos but they are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.

If you are American Cadburys Creme eggs are actually smaller, I got my mother to send some from Ireland.

Here's a "review" of a Creme Egg by a Creme Egg Otaku:

The Crème Egg and I have had a somewhat difficult relationship over the years. My attitude towards them has varied from year to year. One year I was addicted to them and was bereft when my mum could no longer buy them for me. The next year I did not like them so much. Every Easter I would always get Crème Egg Easter egg but last year the person who did that died before Easter. In fact last year I only had one Crème Egg ad that was in June. I was staying with my sister and it wasn’t even a nice Crème Egg because my sister’s kitchen was too warm so the chocolate had gone all soggy (I find Cadbury’s chocolate does not so much melt as go soggy). My sister is something of a Crème Egg addict which is why she still had a box on the go in June.

As far as I am aware the Crème Egg was still being sold in some shops in September and I first saw the new batch before Christmas so I am assuming that Crème Eggs are unavailable for Halloween. Crème Eggs have been around for a very long time and are the number one selling confectionary item between January and Easter. In the run up to Easter you can buy Crème Eggs in virtually any self-respecting food store. You can buy them singly for around 30p to 50p or in boxes of 3, 6, 12 or 24. They are also available in mini size in bags or tubes and of course you can get Easter Eggs of them. Incidentally there is also a campaign for a King Sized Crème Egg.

Despite seeing Crème Eggs before Christmas I refrained from getting any until it was Shrove Tuesday. Note how I said ‘get’ and not ‘buy’? For I was lucky enough to find a newsagents that gave you a free Crème Egg if you bought a paper. Not only that but I had money off coupons for said paper. 20p for a paper and a Crème Egg? Bargain. Over the course of two weeks I collected 8 Crème Eggs and then stopped because I had yet to eat any and decided that I had better eat what I had before getting more.

Since last year the Crème Egg has undergone something of a wrapper change. It used to be red and blue but now is red and purple. Presumably this is to tie it in with Dairy Milk. They have also done away with the little yellow chick! (Cadbury’s what did I say about the Wispa? What did the chick ever do to you? Hhhmm? What?) . The words “crème egg” appear inside a yellow splash which is sandwiched between the purple and red. The wrapper describes the Crème Egg as “milk chocolate with soft fondant centre”. However the ingredients are hard to read and I could see no allergy warnings on the wrapper.

As usual some of the fondant filling has leaked out which makes the foil wrapper somewhat reluctant to part from the chocolate. As much as the use of foil chocolate wrappers is to be applauded I cannot help but think that it needs updating in the case of the Crème Egg. The foil is very easily ripped and if you examine the eggs in the boxes (usually right next to the checkout) chances are that some of the foil wrappers will be ripped revealing the chocolate underneath. Which is a little unhygienic.

However I persevere and manage to remove the foil. The Crème Egg looks much the same as it always has. It is egg shaped with grooves running around either half and a star in the centre. Admittedly it does look a little smaller than the ones I ate as a child but that is probably because I have gotten bigger. The smell that the Crème Egg greets you with is very distinctive. On the one hand you have the smell of the Cadbury’s chocolate with its malty, sweet creaminess and then added to that you have a quite dry sweet, a bit like meringue only less eggy (if that makes sense) which can only come from the fondant filling.

Now there are many ways to eat a Crème Egg (see below for more details) but for the purposes of this review I will eat the Crème Egg in the way that the majority of people seem to do. First of all you bite off the top end. Chewing this mouthful reveals the taste to be that of Cadbury’s Dairy Milk with its malty, creamy, sweetness and mouth-coatingly claggy texture. But added to that you have the first hint of the fondant filling. At first all you can tell is that it is very sweet but then the flavour starts to come through. It is not quite vanilla, not quite fruity it sort of tastes a bit like a meringue crossed with a marshmallow. It also reveals the generous thickness of the chocolate shell and the white and yellow filling (just like a real egg!). Once you have swallowed this first mouthful you can then begin to like out the filling and nibble away the chocolate as you so wish or until public decency requires that you shove whatever is left into your mouth all at once. When that last mouthful has been masticated and sent on its way to be digested you can then commence the licking of your chocolate and fondant covered fingers.

My first Crème Egg of 2005 was a damn good Crème Egg. Sometimes the filling inside the egg can go all gritty and solid but luckily for me the fondant filling in my first egg was glossy and smooth as it should be. All this was enough to reconfirm my love of Crème Eggs. Unbelievable as it may seem there are some people who have not yet tried a Crème Egg. So I would recommend these to anyone who likes Cadbury’s chocolate, especially if your favourite chocolates in Roses are the crème filled ones. However the filling is very sweet and sticky. An adult can easily make a mess of eating a Crème Egg so while their size may make them seem ideal as a child’s snack (and I would not discourage giving children Crème Eggs for some reason Crème Eggs make me feel generous) if you are going to give one to a child make sure they are not wearing their best clothes at the time.

Care should also be taken when storing Crème Eggs. Their incredibly flimsy packaging means that they will not take a bashing. They should be kept somewhere cool as they will melt very readily and this may cause the fondant filling to go gritty and solid. However Crème Eggs should not be placed in the fridge because this will harden the chocolate so much so that when you bite into your Crème Egg the chocolate will snap and break unevenly most likely causing the filling to be lost or for the whole egg to fall apart.

The Crème Egg is quite expensive when you consider the size and compare it to what you could normally buy for that amount of money. But the Crème Egg is only available for a maximum of 51 weeks per year so I think this makes the extra cost a little more worth it. Or perhaps it is the nostalgia that makes me willing to pay (when I eventually get around to buying a Crème Egg as opposed to claiming them for free) that bit extra money. In the years gone past Crème Eggs would start appearing around the time Spring was beginning. The return of the Crème Egg was the confectionary world’s equivalent of the return of the swallows. Hang about, you don’t think that global warming could be affecting the availability of Crème Eggs, do you?

Anyway as promised there are many ways to eat a Crème Egg:

The Traditional Way: bite off the top, like the filling, nibble away the chocolate, lick the filling and so on until the egg is gone.

The In a Hurry Way: bite off the top and then shove whatever is left into your mouth whole.

The Not in Public Way: bite off the top and then remove the filling either with your tongue or you finger and then consume the empty shell.

The It’s-Not-That-Kind-of-Egg Way: place egg in egg cup, use a spoon to break off the top. Eat the top. Use biscuit fingers or wafer to dip into filling. When filling is gone eat the remaining chocolate.

The Crème Egg Challenge: place whole egg in your mouth and eat without opening you mouth.

But no matter what way you choose I guarantee that afterwards your fingers will be covered in fondant and you will have that post Crème Egg glow.

lol.gif