• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GYOZA!

So like a home-made version then.   Sounds good to me.

I was avoiding ramen over summer, just too hot, but got back into it the last few weeks. Miso negi. Can't beat it.

Quote:
Originally posted by xxx:
I suppose it is good to have things to look forward to like that when you make your way home.
I think you missed something. It's soubriquette, not me who comes home late and cooks. Right now it's 11.20 pm and she's still at work. She made an 8.00 am start.

Understood. I actually was referring to in general - ie. there are things that I can only get back home and I look forward to eating them when I am back there as a treat.

Sorry, misunderstanding.

Tomorrow's one of the biggest cake selling days of the season. She runs the factory and two shops from 8 till 8 with a staff of seven. Two are off with flu, so that means she has to do the work of three on a big day. I don't expect to see her tonight. She's a special kind of goil.

I can answer that. Christmas, new year, valentines, doll festival and white day. These celebrations (read marketing opportunities) keep me in cognac and havanas \:\)

It's a seasonal business. Cakes don't sell when the temperature is over 28C. She has to make enough in the winter to carry the business through the summer.

I love some of the more traditional Japanese 'cakes' you can get. My favorite at the moment is mochi with anko and cream inside. They keep them refrigerated in the shop and there are two flavours - coffee and strawberry. I could eat 4 or 5 of those in one go.

No battenburg. Terribly 1970's she says. She does do an almond flavoured sponge cake though.

You could roll Christmas/new year into one, then bring in obon. Any time people travel cakes sell because they make ideal gifts. Inexpensive, you eat them, everyone says oishi and that's it.

Hers are mostly western cakes, but she does make mochi. She buys the rice locally, had it milled by an ancient gnome in town. She has a steamer and a beating machine.

Oh yes. Some never change, like the awayuki, her trademark. The range changes with the seasons, and the individual lines with time.

When she comes up with a new cake, it's not just a matter of swapping cherries for strawberries. She spends time re-balancing the various flavours. She's very good.

My local cake shop seems to do a lot of re-balancing of things, mostly costs. In the last few years the same chocolate cake (my favorite) in my local shop is exactly the same as it has always been apart from two things:

- it is now smaller than it used to be

- it is now more expensive than it used to be.

\:\(

I think your lovely lady should introduct a special "Cheese Range". Not only would they be delicious, but also nutritious and fun for all the family (and friends too). It would be a big business booster, as there are lots of Cheesefans out there - like us all on here! \:D