Do any work? I run Norton's 2006 professional and have it programmed to give me a total check on my HD on every Friday. Without fail it tells me every Friday that it has scanned around 13,000 files, detected 14 viruses, fixed 0 and deleted 0. What't the benefit? Does anybody have a more positive experiences with your virus/spam software?

I have mine scanned every so often and if it finds something I'm sure Norton fixes it. It sounds strange that it doesnt fix them.

Those scans take such a long time as well!

Norton has a reputation for being resource hungry and not interacting well with other applications.

AVG and avast are 2 free packages that are worthwhile checking out.

Trend micro has a useful online scanner here

• 2 weeks later...

Some of my pc have Norton in them and one has Virusbastars in it. Both are okay, when they start scanning the computers, I just let them go and don't do anything on them because while they work for that, it's very slow if I do anything on them.

>Friday that it has scanned around 13,000 files

Only 13,000? Must be a new pc, Kintaro. The Norton in my laptop says something like 650,000.

wakaranai.gif

Kaspersky and McAfee do well on the magazine and consumer rag tests.

I've used Norton and it seemed to block viruses, but it was a system hog, and often caused other problems (computer unusable once a scan started, even pausing scan did nothing, needed to force a reboot). In the end, Norton just got stuck about 40 minutes into a scan and never moved on. Around this time I seemed to pick up a few virus infections that Norton couldn't see or clean.

I cleaned the infections manually, junked Norton and did some online research and am happily using a 30-day free trial version of Kaspersky, which I will pay for when my freebie runs out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
AntiVir Guard is OK. It does all the scanning stuff, and it squeaks and does it's best to protect you when a visit a site that tries to download something dangerous.

It's free too.
one more vote for AntiVir, I use that one. It does the job.

actually spybot is pretty much worthless.

I did quite abit a research earlier this year and the general consensus wasnt good

Quote:
Spybot S&D 1.3, a freeware spyware removal tool, provides poor protection against spyware. While it detected only 54% of our test spyware, it removed only 23% of it. It has a good user interface and ran faster than nearly every other product we tested, but then crashed our Windows XP computer, rendering it virtually unusable. The price is right, but you may want to backup your system before installing the latest version
for a free adware remover - Lavasoft Ad-adware is better.

If you want to be really sure run a top line commercial software like Spysweeper, if you use the trial software version it will work and scan fully but not remove but any problems, but it will at least highlight them.

If ad-adware doesnt also find and remove that particular threat you can hunt it down manually.

I scan with spysweeper it has occasionally highlighted a few things adaware didnt but my antivir antivirus caught those things anyway.

Along with Agnitium Outpost firewall, my shit is pretty tight!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:

how about anti spyware and ad ware?

Dude I thought I had already put ad aware on your rig when I tried forlornly to fix it? or do have you new one now?

Didn't know that snowglider - I run 'em both sometimes. They seem to detect slightly different things, which is no surprise I guess.

Which review was that?