This one doesn't sound too cuddly:

NAGANO — A 14-year-old schoolboy was attacked by a bear on a forest road in Otari, Nagano Prefecture, on Wednesday morning. Police said the boy sustained injuries to his head, face and abdomen and had to be airlifted by helicopter to hospital. Police said the boy told them he was walking to school shortly before 8 a.m. when the bear suddenly appeared out of the forest and attacked him.

Police and local government officials said the number of bear sightings has increased this summer, but that no other attacks on humans had been reported. School officials said they will consider starting a bus service to brings students to school.

I don't know much about bears in Japan but they scare me. In Canada there aren't many people so they generally maintain their natural fear of people. If they hear or smell you coming they're likely to take off --especially grizzlies. In more populated areas though, they get accustomed to human presence (eg garbage) and they're more likely to associate humans with food (not that they want to eat us but we often carry good snacks) or got annoyed by us. Japanese bears are much smaller than Canadian grizzlies or even most black bears I think, but they scare me and I'm not keen on where there's been bear activity.

The one that got the young lad in Otari was reckoned to be about 100kg. Not that big.

There's been lots of bear sightings latley.I would have thought they would haev told the kids to stick to the roads and not follw any paths through wooded areas, which seems to be where he was attacked.

Wish I had seen an asiatic black bear while I was over there

I just got an email forward of a polor bear attack

Guy got beat up pretty good with most of his scalp being ripped off and foot being stripped of anything fleshy. He was able to get away and grab his shotgun killing the bear

And there was an article about a guy who got into a biting competition with a panda this morning! lol.gif

At a zoo, he had downed 3 jugs of beer and decided to jump the fence and go "cuddle" the panda. The panda got a fright and bit his leg, so the guy bit the panda back! lol.gif It then started mauling, if that is the right word, him until the zoo staff threw water on it to get it to back off.

The BBC Science and Nature section shows this:

"Diet

Asiatic black bears are more carnivorous than their American counterparts, although only a small part of their diet is made up of meat. This includes small mammals, birds, fish, molluscs and carcasses. They also feed on grasses, fruits, berries, seeds, insects and honey. In autumn they fatten up for the winter by feeding on nuts."

An update from an authoritative source (i.e. My wife heard it from someone who heard it from someone...)

Due to the cold winter and rainy weather, the Donguri have not flowered or whatever they do this year. So the furry ones have no dognuri to munch on.

wakaranai.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
quick fact:

bears only breathe 4xs/minute during hybernation

Dont you feel smarter now that you learned at least one thing today? ;\)
Thank you for learning me about bears ;\)

i have seen those beers on TV. they cant be much bigger then the average family rottie. if the poor kid had his week-bix or a decent size rice ball for breakie he would have uppercutted that fluffy bear into the stratosphere