I like wine.

I find it hard to go wrong with Aussy wine. Even cheap stuff like the Shiraz with the big kangaroo on the bottle that you often see in grocery stores is pretty good (a little better the second day). I'll try that Banrock Station Shiraz Cabernet that you guys have recommended. I would never get Japanese wine if you're pouring it for anyone might like good wine. Generally, Japanese know no more about wine than they know about cheese. Plus it rains way too much in this country. Domestic grapes should be eaten, not made into wine.

> I would never get Japanese wine if you're pouring it for anyone might like good wine.

But then that would depend entirely on your motive for pouring it.

I'm looking forward to attending my occasional 'chanpon' tasting this Friday. We all go hogwild tasting sake, shochu, and foreign wine that has been mellowed in an old railway tunnel. Me and my mate always have a bit of a chuckle at some of the other folk's raptures about the foreign wines. Often we have no idea what they're talking about, and they get a bit deflated when we grin at them and shrug in response.

If by chance you want to impress, just talk about the black current finish if it's red, or the apricot hue if it's white. Or you could just compare the wine to random exotic vetetables (like artichoke) and see what kind of response you get.

I like a lot the Spanish Rioja and Rueda wines and also the Italian Chianti. A nice cheap Rioja that you can find in many big Supermarkets or licker stores in Japan is Siglo. The bottle is covered with a hemp cloth, you can’t miss it!

siglo.jpg

I admit that I don’t like French wine. :p

• 9 months later...

i like a nice cheap cote du rhone. a quaffable table wine is fine with me.

despite all the talk about how good australian wines are, i really like the lighter bodies european reds. i find em a lot more drinkable. that's probably an indictment of my simplistic tastes though

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
Good taste Tday. thumbsup.gif

Have you tried masi, I like their white wine during the summer.
1182756418556_IT.jpg
Dry and a bit fruity.
Usually find it at around 2000 yen at the liquor store.
thumbsup.gif

Good stuff.

Appreciating the CHEAP (ie. Not you, Thursday!;)) recommendations!

I love a glass of red wine, before dinner, and with dinner (if suitable) and after with some dark chocolate (damn, there goes the dirty skater image) but often think of just sticking to beer in Japan, which is plentiful, varied and cheap enough, whereas wine is often pretty bad, over priced and limited in variety.

I am not a wine buff in any way, but have explored the most popular and populated price point of 1000 to 2000 yen in the UK - where you can find wines that at least resemble their varieties, are soft and easy to drink, with discernable flavours.

I have yet to find this so much here - and the UK is not a cheaper place to live than Japan.

French wine is always over-priced outside of France, due to their export duties and the cache of "Ooooh, French wine, how sophisticated you are..." ha ha. And here it is usually the cheapest (like 500-700 yen in France) bottles sold here for 1500 yen or so.

Ozzy wine is usually ok - a safe bet, but Chilean wine often seems to offer the best value for money - they have some Cono Sur wines in Seiyu which is usually nice enough - although not their Pinot Noir which is good.

I am working my way through the offerings in the supermarkets, waiting to find that elusive bargain...

No real recommendations to speak of yet, unfortunately.

For those who will admit to liking rose, (damn, I am really losing all my legit coolness here) it seems that cheap Rose is always nicer than cheap white for those hot summer evenings or picnics - plus it's pink.

I'll try the hessian Rioja mentioned above.

I find the Rioja at around 1400 yen in Tokyo, the liquor store close to my place has them in abundance. \:\)

It seems that there was a Rioja boom some years ago cause all the bottles he has are from 2002-2003.

Rose wine is really hit and miss when it comes from a bottle.

My stepfather makes almost every year and sends me 1-2 bottles, I think that’s the only rose wine I can drink.

• 2 years later...

Last Sat night, a friend brought over a bottle of Rioja which a student had given him. Back in my student days, Rioja was serious alcohol and I remember how strong that stuff was.

As it turned out, it was very mellow. As mellow as a French but much more interesting in aftertaste. A good wine. Think I'll try more from Spain.