A little bravado, too much speed, a big jump = broken hip and broken wrist (and a really, really messed up ankle). I randomly caught this shot at (Cr)Appi yesterday and it turned out to be a guy I know. He's hurtin' right now though. My best to him. Shit happens...... l66926.jpg

I wish I had gotten it on video. My battery ran out 30 seconds before it happened. It was a pretty ugly scene though, but he was pretty tough about it. Never seen a wrist bent that way....

I really think the terrain parks that are popping up all over allow too many beginners and even intermediates to try stuff they are not even close to ready for. You have to learn sometime, but you also have to learn to ski/board first. I've noticed many people in Japan are skipping the whole riding thing and going straight to the parks and getting seriously hurt as a result. This was definatley one of those situations. Happens in the US and Canada also, and I'm sure Europe and everywhere else.

I wish him the best, but dammit, I hope he learned a lesson too.

Getting hauled off.... l66929.jpg

From what I've seen, I've found that the ski patrol here are not very well experienced/equipped. My buddy (Japanese) cut up his chin and lip and when he asked them for a band-aid, a group of 5 of them had these puzzled looks and told him that he could go buy some at the omiyage shop because they didn't have any. We ended up asking the rental shop if they could hook us up and they did................are the First aid people in Japan as certified as the ski patrol in other countries?

Wow!!! Im sorry to hear about your friend getting hurt so badly - huge air and just a bit of bad luck.

I went to Mizuho yesterday and, to forwarn those of you who havent skied/boarded in Hiroshima most of them suck. And, are dangerous about it too.

Yesterdays injury reports:

1) A guy in the halfpipe goes flying outta the pipe and takes out a person who was hiking up by wacking him in the head/shoulder with his board. The boarder broke his leg/or ankle. The hiker was also taken down by stretcher too but dont know what happened.

2)At the bottom of the Gondola a bunch of wild boarders came racing down. Most stopped but one didnt/couldnt because he sucks so badly - he narrowly managed to miss taking out about 10 people who were unstrapping their boards or waiting for friends but ends up sliding into the backs of 2 girl boarders who werent looking. All I could do from the gondola was look on in amazement eek.gif Dangerous.

3)People who sit just below a hill outta the line of sight and block the way - groups were doing this all day but a beginner skier ran over the hand of some bloke who was taking a cigarette break and sliced his hand with the ski edge.

It dumbfounds me how people just sit in the middle of the gerrand and dont think they are blocking/obstructing the way. Hiroshima boarders/skiers are the worst. Just stupid and they suck. Sorry about the negativity but I was outraged at the level of incompetence of people here.

They use to have a "Boarders license" in Hiroshima, maybe elsewhere too but in order to get that they shouldve added a little teaching lesson: Dont sit on the friggin gerrand!!! Falling down is one thing. Having 10 friends sitting around smoking is another. mad.gif

The snow conditions were decent enough from the snowfall the previous evenings. Not so much artifical snow although they were still making it. Maybe thats why it cost 5,500 for a day pass to pay for all the jinko. Snowboard park has been changed around from last time and was pretty nice. Added another big table which you could get some great air off of! \:D That and the Boarder/Skier Xpark was pretty cool too.

I have too, seen the chaos at the end of the home run (Mizuho). Lots of people waiting in a small space, while everyone else is trying to get some speed for the last run of the day.

Collisions expected.

So, a good time was had YP?

Ouch indeed! I broke my leg at Appi last season...that stretcher sure looks familiar eek.gif

I gotta say they had a really good clinic there near the ski-jo at Appi with a couple of doctors that spoke Enlish. They didn't have an ambulance though. I had to be taken in my own car. Plucky, any idea how they transported your buddy to a place where he could recieve medical attention?

I hope the best for him..