• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wonder if they will keep them as they are now or do something with them. Hard to see Game suddenly becoming a success with the way they currently do things. Grim shops. The best bit I saw while I w

Its irresponsible of them to launch with so few machines available, especially to launch it they way they have in regular shops. This kind of thing was bound to happen so they should have come up with another way to sell the products that doesn't involve people having to camp out and fight. But then they wouldn't get the free publicity, and the 'I cant get it so I want it more' effect, which is surely what this is all about.

Check out this guy who buys a PS3, takes it outside and starts to smash it up in front of the line of people waiting to buy one

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/clips/clips-ps3-smashed-in-front-of-best-buy-line-215718.php

"We decided to take the whole smashing thing a little further, and destroy things right when they come out, in front of 100s of fanboys who would be quite upset to see their beloved game console smashed. I got nothing against Sony making money. This project only exists for the sole purpose of providing satisfaction to people who hate the PlayStation 3, or just like seeing the reaction of the people who just spend a day in line to get their hands on one of these consoles. Entertainment, nothing more!"

What is happening in peoples minds?

confused.gif wakaranai.gif

Everyone's "no spin zone" friend Bill is even getting in on it:

Bill O’Reilly Slams PS3 Launch, Gamers, iPods, Digital Tech (not in that order)

Apparently sparked by the PlayStation 3 launch, conservative pundit Bill O’Reilly took off after video game culture and digital technology generally in yesterday’s Radio Factor.

The controversial talk show host, who advertises his program as a “no spin zone” offered the following spin on gamers and much of their favorite gear:

American society is changing for the worse because of the machines… In the past to flee the real world people usually chose drugs or alcohol… now you don’t have to do that, Now all you have to do is have enough money to buy a machine…

Basically what you have is a large portion of the population, mostly younger people under the age of 45, who don’t deal with reality - ever. So they don’t know what day it is; they don’t know temperature it is; they don’t know what their neighbor looks like. They don’t know anything… because they are constantly diverted by a machine. Now what this does is it takes a person away from reality because they’ve created their own reality…

Here comes the PS3 rant:

The newest thing is the PlayStation 3. Now this is a machine that allows you to play games in hi-def and all this other stuff… It’s the newest state of the art system from Sony…. It has a video game console, plays DVDs, connects you to the Internet, tells you how handsome you are. It’s six-hundred bucks. Now people lined up for hours to get this thing. Hours!

Next, O’Reilly recounts some of the various, well-publicized incidents that took place on PS3 lines around the country, before launching into:

The problem with this stuff is that some people can deal with it constructively… but other people get addicted to it, just like opium, just like drugs and alcohol… So this is a big, big problem. It’s going to change every single thing in this country.

At about this point, O’Reilly has Blois Olson of the National Institute on Media & the Family on as a guest. Olson talked about some issues regarding video game addiction, but was quite reasonable. As for O’Reilly? He thinks your video gaming may well doom you to a life of poverty:

The have-nots are growing. Why are they growing? Because the skill set that is necessary to earn a decent living is being deemphasized in a fantasy world of football games and shooting zombies and all that…. Now you have the “knows” and the “know-nots”, because if you spend all your youth being prisoners of machines….. you’re not going to know anything…. You’re gonna fail.

And, even though O’Reilly’s pay site offers a podcast, the pundit rather curiously disses the iPod and seems to equate video gaming with national collapse:

I don’t own an iPod. I would never wear an iPod… If this is your primary focus in life - the machines… it’s going to have a staggeringly negative effect, all of this, for America… did you ever talk to these computer geeks? I mean, can you carry on a conversation with them? …I really fear for the United States because, believe me, the jihadists? They’re not playing the video games. They’re killing real people over there.

He is the ultimate troll. Devils advocate etc.

Reminds me a great piece of wisdom:

Quote:
"Never argue with a fool. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Like the tabloid press, to treat it as anything more than comedy entertainment is an exercise in futility.

yesterday I entered into a draw for a 60gb ps3. I had to fill out some forms and presto! they told me to come back next saturday. It wasn't til I got home and read over the sheet carefully that I realized I had entered a lottery to BUY a ps3!?!!!

hmmm, do I hope I win or not?

(I'm not a gamer btw)

I noticed XBOX 360 price has gone up in Yamada Denki. They were doing it for 36000yen (I thought it was 26000yen but surely that cant have been right) for the 20gb system + 2 games a month before PS3 came out. Now it is 37000yen for the non-HD system with no games \:\(

But Kumapix, don't you want it as a "super computer" - you know one that can do all sorts. DVDs, Blu Ray, music, other super-computer like things (not sure what they are but surely impressive). I hear it even does games.

;\)

I already have a 'super computer' ;\) that does all those things (not blu ray - but who cares?).

7 to 8 man isn't enough to be interesting. Now, if it was the US and I could get 2000 bucks for it, then I'd be lining up lol.gif

The wii looks interesting with the remote that you can swing like a golf club. Should catch some salarymen with that commercial

I was in Nagaoka yesterday and in the Toys R Us they had a huge themed Wii section as well. Looks like they are really going for it with this one. Can't believe that DS thing is almost always sold out. It's curious how some things catch on like that.

the wii is a totally different machine to xbox/ps3. the latter are total entertainment boxes rather than just a games console - play music, dvds, hd-dvd, games, even surf the internet. the wii is just a 100% games console. its getting to the point where they need to put them into different categories.

Nope, I think I will hold it in.

I was just thinking back to the days of the SNES vs. the Megadrive. SNES has so many million colours and all the press said it was unnessesary and the SNES would never make it against the Megadrive. In the end Nintendo is still in the black and sega is almost non existant.

I think sony might win in the end. Yeah its a bit expensive. But the calls for boycotting it is just history repeating itself.