• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wonder if they will keep them as they are now or do something with them. Hard to see Game suddenly becoming a success with the way they currently do things. Grim shops. The best bit I saw while I w

I'm a Wii fan (loving Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime Corruption here now), but I have to hand it to the PS3 for Rock Band. The missus and our friends were playing Rock Band (guitar, drums and vocals) attheir place, and it was an absolute blast. One of the best games I've played in years. A pretty good soundtrack too, not pigeonholed to primarily classic rock like Guitar Hero III, not to mention over a hundred downloadable songs with 200 more forecast for this year. Almost enough to make me get a 360 or PS3 (if we didn't have such thin walls and weren't pondering moving to Japanland later this year).

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
Whats the deal with that? Don't you need tons of add on "instrument controllers" for that?

I think you can play it with just the controller maybe? We were playing with the fancy pack though. It's about $150 or so (including game), but it comes with a guitar, bass guitar, drums and mic.

SO

MUCH

FUN!

(especially since I didn't have to pay for any of it)
 Originally Posted By: Kraut_in_HongKong
1.5 weeks till Japan! Time to start a shopping list!

Can you buy an English Wii in Japan (Tokyo)? How much ¥?

Why don't you buy a HK WII? Tweaked of cours in Golden.

Out of interest why would you want to do that? Are you wanting a Japanese Wii that "does English" or just a US market / overseas market Wii? You realise the Wii is region locked, right?

Originally Posted By: thursday.
 Originally Posted By: Kraut_in_HongKong
1.5 weeks till Japan! Time to start a shopping list!

Can you buy an English Wii in Japan (Tokyo)? How much ¥?

Why don't you buy a HK WII? Tweaked of cours in Golden.

In HK they offer mainly the JP version. US Version is quite a bit more expensive. HK$3200 original, or HK$3600 with modchip.

Just wanted to check if JP US version is cheaper, as I go there anyway soonly.

(Coz it's bad, I really have nothing to buy in JP)

PS: what you mentioned is already plan B.

Don't get an English version.

Don't get a Japanese version.

I'm not sure specifically about HK, but I've read from many places that Wii's in China are region-free, meaning you can play Japanese games OR American games, without having to hack your Wii, which would of course void the warranty and also oftentimes make it incompatible with future online content upgrades.

Originally Posted By: 66jzmstr
Don't get an English version.

Don't get a Japanese version.

I'm not sure specifically about HK, but I've read from many places that Wii's in China are region-free, meaning you can play Japanese games OR American games, without having to hack your Wii, which would of course void the warranty and also oftentimes make it incompatible with future online content upgrades.

I haven't checked China (yet). But I doubt what you write. Most consoles don't even get released in China because of the rampant copying. The Wii you will find in China will be mostly JP gray imports I guess. And they will be modchipt too.

It's a pity that Nintendo is so shortsighted and forces people to using cracked consoles. To have a block on games that are not from your region is silly. Now one will get a modchip Wii and can simply download all games from the web for free. Normally I don't bother spending $50 on a game, but I would knowing that can't run.

As much as I don't like it, they have their business reasons. To call it shortsighted is rather naive. The % of people who will get a modchip and download all the games from the web for free is tiny.

Originally Posted By: klingon
To call it shortsighted is rather naive.

Why is that? Please explain in detail (if you can).

The regionfree approached worked very well for NDS. Those who download games will do that anyway. But those who can handle different languages games are ducked and need to buy a 2nd Wii (who would do that?)

I simply can't see any benefit in region codings. The majority is locked out by language anyway. But, let's say' a bilingual JP family in the US can not run JP games on their US Wii, losing one chance to get the kids a bit closer to JP language.

I'll go for the cracked one.

It's fairly simple and if you take a look around the interwebs I'm sure you can find out a lot of information on the reasons for region locking. (Basically, to protect local industries). I don't want it, and I may not agree with it, but I understand why it is done.

Your case above (a JP family in the US wanting JP games on their US Wii) is hardly a reason for Nintendo to go back on it's decision to region lock. And since when was the Wii's job (a game console) "to get the kids a bit closer to the JP language"?!

Anyway, good luck with your "cracked machine".

(Do you feel comfortable stealing?)

Why is a Modchip stealing? It's even not illegal in any way.

IMHO are regions already protected by different languages. You can not compare games to DVDs, which often come in different languages on one DVD.

Anyway, the Wii is coded and I know what to do about. Nintendo still makes money on the console, and on a few games. Peace.

Quote:
Now one will get a modchip Wii and can simply download all games from the web for free

The games are all free and legal? Great! How come we don't all know about that?

You obviously seem to know much more than the huge, extremely experience, highly successful, multinational corporation known as Nintendo. Their bad luck it seems. They must be sad.
 Quote:
Now one will get a modchip Wii and can simply download all games from the web for free

The games are all free and legal? Great! How come we don't all know about that?

It's a small step they haven't thought about too much, or don't really bother about since it's getting quite technical and probably way beyond the normal home user. As long as I can buy a game I just buy it, as long as it's available. My game demand is very low anyway, maybe 2 a year will do. Just like to do some fun stuff, no shoot+kill, racing or arcade stuff for me.
So, just to make it clear - no, the games that some people download are not free and legal. They are illegal, and it is stealing.

It's technically not stealing since it's not physical property, but's certainly illegal in many jurisdictions.

If they catch you (depending on the jurisdiction) you will get charged with copyright violations, not with stealing. We had one guy going to jail in HK some time last year for uploading some B-movies nobody watched anyway. And that was really jail, not probation!

We have certainly the same opinion about that.
Use whatever fancy words you want to justify it to yourself, but it is stealing.

In legal terms it's not stealing. Please consult a lawyer, they will confirm that. You will be charged with copyright violations, not theft. If you steal a game in the shop, that it's theft.