So what exotic places did you get to?

Spent the while summer in Wakayama with a beach full of logger head turtles. Not so exotic but diving and beach work everyday makes up for it!! However dissapointed about the decline in nesting females this year, abotu 50% down form last year.

No one knows yet why its dropped. Its been the same at all nesting beaches. Working now to trya nd find out. The guy I work with has his own theory that there will be a big earthquake this year, :rolleyes: ;\) I think it might have something to do with a combination in mercury levels rising in waters, and storms out at sea and increased fishing off of Shikoku. Also could be part of the natural cycle. Lots of Q`s!!!

I saw some turtles in SE Sri Lanka, but they were cruising along the beach just beyond the surf zone. I've no idea if they were nesting or not.

Which karri was that, Bushpig? Pemberton? I've been up two of them, and done the high-level forest walk down near Denmark too.

It was the Diamond Tree Soub! You probably did that one and the Gloucester Tree yeah? As far as I know the other two aren't open to the public. Yep, it was near Pemberton. That Denmark walk is bloody great too eh!

Enjoyed our time in Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia \:D

Favorite places: Chiang Mai, Luang Prabang, Si Phan Don, Kratie, Siem Reap.

Least Favorite: Pakbeng. Halfway down the Mekong from Huai Xai to Luang Prabang on the slow boat. Drug dealers, crack heads, and guns. Sketchy place...

did a similarish trip to CB. the most overrated place in cambodia must surely be sihanoukville - dirty rubbish strewn beaches, complete with used syringes and runoff pipes right on the sand, with oblivous backpackers wallowing in the fetid water. yummy! does this count as exotic??

the sort of place you go to and think you must be on crazy pills, because everyone else seems to be enjoying it....

Pipi island - Thailand. It was soo small that there were no roads or cars. You can walk from one end to the other in 15 minutes. I stayed two nights, sea kayaked and swam with sharks there.

Hey Spook, too bad not ta have caught up. We musta been right behind you getting into Siem Reap.

Pakbeng, def a bunch of crackhead drug dealers running that place. You can, if you actually desire, get almost any drug you want, though why you would wanna even converse with the peeps of that POS village would be beyond me. That was the extortion village...

Skipped Sihanoukville for those reasons mate and spent extra time in Siem Reap and P.P. as well as adding in an unexpected trip to Kratie - but after starting over an hour behind schedule, due to the driver going outta the way to pick up half a dozen boxes of "drugs" or whatever the F it was, several sketchy stops, and not even getting into Kratie until 5pm, with P.P. another minimum of 6-7 hours away, we got off that bus and stayed 2 nights and saw the Irrawaddy dolphins. Kratie was a nice place to chill out and if youre coming in from Si Phan Don (Laos) to Cambodia, dont go all the way to P.P., stop in Kratie and break up the trip.

talking about exotic - how about the bugs that people chow down on in cambodia? i'm a big fan of trying everything, but i drew the line at the massive fried roaches and tarantulas. that was a bit too wild.

Quote:
Originally posted by spook:
talking about exotic - how about the bugs that people chow down on in cambodia? i'm a big fan of trying everything, but i drew the line at the massive fried roaches and tarantulas. that was a bit too wild.
the bugs I could handle - it was the plate of 5 inch hairy spiders piled up with at least 200 on it that gave me the willies. Swear I saw a few moving still eek.gif eek.gif