• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25k is selling an average of 100 uke's per month with $250 per ukulele profit margin but high end uke's have a much higher profit margin and I don't know how fast we can 'move' them! These are net projections, not counting other merchandise. Of course, I haven't tried out this little experiment yet. Maybe 100 uke's per month isn't so easy to sell. I don't know. I just know the foot traffic in the mall, the overhead costs, and what my side of the costs will be for inventory. Demand and what will really be sold is the unknown part of the equation. Risk is actually part of the fun. If it wasn't a bit scary, what's the purpose?

Thank you for wishing me luck DumbStick.

Kintaro, go and see Paul in the Mall and check out his retail sales skills. He's the master. I bought a shitload of clothes there and enjoyed myself doing it - the once and only time.

If you can't already play and otherwise handle the ukele yourself to a high standard, I recommend you hire at least one person who can. Showmanship, and intimacy with the product are great onsite marketing assets.

Paul or phil? I've been talking with a guy named phil. Anyways, thanks for the advice. One thing the mall has offered me is free use of their centre stage to have ukulele performers play and advertise my products. My level is still low as a player. I've learned how to tune it and had to re-string it b/c I'm a lefty. So I have that knowledge under my belt. I'm practicing about 3 hours a day now (still, very heta) but as another player told me some day it will just "click." I'm holding my breath for that day. I will be looking for talented players to help me.

• 2 months later...
lol.gif Jake is often compared to an acoustic guitarist. He's also called the Jimi Hendrix of the uke. He knows he plays an uke. He's an entertainer and as so needs to appease the senseless members of his audiance. I'm surprised you know of him. I'm impressed. But an ukulele is an ukulele. A bass is a bass (not a big guitar). A sax is a sax, not a big trumpet. It's not that difficult.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
But an ukulele is an ukulele. .... A sax is a sax, not a big trumpet.
A sax and a trumpet don't even look the same.

sax
sax-594af27a67e477b266cecc1ecb69ad01.jpg

trumpet
trumpet.jpg

big guitar
1147883949_l.jpg

small guitar
ukulele-and-palmtops-l.jpeg

It's not that difficult

So are you saying an ukulele isn't really an ukulele? The small guitar as you like to refer to it is called an ukulele in real life. Can't you realize your own stupidity?

BTW, is that a trumpet or a bugle?

Does Clapton play a "big guitar?" I think you are making your own words. That's cool, I think creativity is a possitive thing.

Quote:
The small guitar as you like to refer to it is called an ukulele in real life.
Really, I've never heard it called that before. All these years, I just thought it was a small guitar. A ukulele you say? hmmm.

Quote:
So are you saying an ukulele isn't really an ukulele?
No ok, enough of this. Really, I know what a ukulele is. Its pretty much a small guitar with fishing line for strings. \:\) . They are an important cultural icon of Hawaii aren't they?

Quote:
I think you are making your own words
No no no no noooo. Saying 'small guitar' is not making up words, its applying an adjective to a noun and that utterance is being used to describe a ukulele.

Quote:
Can't you realize your own stupidity?
Oh please! You stupid, silly, tit of a man. I'm calling it a small guitar because it makes you go funny. For gods sake.

For the record, Wikipedia say the following:

The ukulele.... is a fretted string instrument which is, in its construction, essentially a smaller, four-stringed version of the guitar.

But break it down to what it is. An ukulele is by definition an ukulele. How does Wikpedia feel about that you silly little tit of a man? Who's making who go funny? You do humour me though.

Was that a bugle?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Imagine losing your wife because of an urge to sell small guitars. What passion and commitment.
But it isn't misplaced passion... after all, they became Hawaiian cultural icons ever since some Portuguese dudes rocks up in Honolulu and started making them in 1879.

Truth be told, the uke is an adaptation of a 4 stringed Latin guitar that has been played for 100's of years before the Hawaiian version became well known.

All of this makes me ask, what the hell is a man doing selling modern Hawaiian cultural icons in Guam? Where's the respect? I suppose if there is a dollar in it by selling to suckers, then hey, squeeze every drop outta her!

An urge? I'm not going to lose my wife Ocean and I have never had "an urge" to sell little guitars. You must be as stupid as your kohai. I just want to start a business. Watch that cheese translater!

Ever heard of polynesia? Artifact? I don't know what your sense of history is but an ukulele isn't thousands of years old. But say it was, my prospective costumers (unless buying from me online) will have to be visiting. I can't figure out why you care that I'm going to be making a buck or two with little effort. Let me know why I should admire and thank you for what you've done for the world and I'll give you my props. Otherwise, shut up banker! You too sempai! BTW, I'm just trying to spread the Aloha. It's a Hawaiian concept that you wouldn't/can't understand so save yourself a couple of minutes and get that through your non-Hawaiian heads. Ignorance, enjoy it!! And I'm still not getting your point there spuddy. As far as I know an ukulele is still an ukulele. Please correct me where I've gone wrong.

I didn't say it was thousands of years old. I said it was introduced to Hawaii by the Portuguese in 1879, about 100 years after Australia was settled by the English. I also said that it is an adaptation of a mini Latin guitar that has been around for 100's of years prior to it becoming popular in Hawaii. As a seller of said small guitar, you should know that.

One of my who-cares points is that you are selling a bit of modern Hawaiian culture well outside of Hawaii. I don't understand why a tourist would buy an obviously Hawaiian souvenir in Guam. If they do then they must be rather daft... which is exactly what you mean to capitalise upon. Little guitar seller of Guam that you are.

Quote:
BTW, I'm just trying to spread the Aloha. It's a Hawaiian concept that you wouldn't/can't understand so save yourself a couple of minutes and get that through your non-Hawaiian heads. Ignorance, enjoy it!
That one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Two obvious faults:

1. Think about it, all your clients will be non-Hawaiian. Why would a Hawaiian resident buy a uke whilst on Holiday in Guam? 99% of them wouldn't. Therefore, your quoted insult above applies equally to your entire customer base.

Its best not to look down upon your customers, Kintaro. Especially if it is their ignorance that you wish to covert into easy money.

2. How do you spread Aloha to people without Aloha when by your own belief Aloha is "a Hawaiian concept that you wouldn't/can't understand... get that through your non-Hawaiian heads"? People without Aloha must by default be non-Hawaiian, even a goofy tit like you can see that. Now stop and think. Process the logic, unweave it and then re-thread the fabric of what you said. You shot yourself in the Aloha foot, mate.

You are genuinely too silly to be taken seriously. I wouldn't be moth-balling that fake priest costume in a hurry.

ps- no doubt as a profession has banking has little virtue for humanity, but everything you, Kintaro, need to make money out of stupid tourists by selling a little Hawaiian guitar called a uke requires banking. So I think you love that part of the system as much as anyone. And not that I need justify myself to a fake priest, but part of my role in the game is stopping the banking globalised system from self destructing, an intriguingly difficult and fledgling art-come-science of flow, one that I have been help internationally pioneer for a few years now. Banking failure is something that would cause everything that a guy like you needs to vanish in a flash. So amongst other things, I am the devils physician and dietitian. And you need the devil Kintaro, more than most.

You just don't understand Hawaii, Guam, polynesia, my business or my audiance. what you don't know is I will be selling hawaiian made uke's to many Hawaiians. What you don't know but Hawaiians do is that products and the cost of doing business are cheaper in Guam than Hawaii. What you don't know is that the culture, language and history and nationality of Guam isn't much different than Hawaii. And what you don't know is I don't sell souvenirs. That'd be the $30 uke from Hilo Hatties. I sell to serious players. I'm finished with your stupidity.

Also, give the fake priest thing a break. I'm legally licensed. If you still have further arguments with me give this forum a break and PM me.

C'mon Kintaro don't stop now. This is the only thread on SJ currently active that would be good on the Jerry Springer show (since the divorce thread broke down).

Can't you fire something back at spud about him being the saviour of world banking as we know it. (Get in a good sarcastic jab)

One thing I don't get is the link between Guam and Polynesia.