We're thinking of buying a dog. We know nothing about it but being doing a little research.

What we are after is a medium-large size dog, good with kids, and can survive in the cold.

Has anyone ever bought a dog in Japan?

I don't want to pay the prices for the pure breeds they seem to sell at the home centers.

What about contacting your local Hokenjo? They sell abandoned dogs who would otherwise be put down.

This place in Osaka rehomes pets too. They might be able to put you in touch with a local branch if it's too far for you.

I heard that boxers are very good with kids. They are very protective of them. Wouldn't get a pedigree though cos they are inbred and always getting sick. Mongrels are much healthier. Also consider getting a dog who has already been trained rather than a puppy. Puppies are a lot of work.

I grew up with boxers and labs.

Boxers can be very good but they are pretty stupid & sometimes wild dogs. Bit like dalmations.

I'm so jelous that your getting a dog Miso, I'm hanging for one but space just won't allow me to get one till I move home (soon)... Hanging for that day.

I would recommend my breed of dog, but he doesn't fit your size requirements (he is a small medium size, not quite knee height and 12 kgs or so). But an incredible animal. He stops at least 3 strangers every single time we step out of the house. And they love heading out on an adventure with you. Last weekend he caught a gondola half way up Grand Montets ski resort in Chamonix. Crazy dog.

I am sure a pure breed will cost an arm and a leg in Japan. Perhaps get one appropriate for your climate and snowy environment, but not if you expect to bail out to Noosa in a few years time. A Malamute might be good? (and ludicrously expensive). Goemon has a great old hound that meets your medium sized requirements, she is half dingo.

Besides food, dogs genuinely love more than anything being part of your pack, it means so much to them. It is what their life revolves around and you can see them living a happy satisfying dog life. So if you get one, make sure you treat him like part of the pack, don't neglect him. Besides food, all that matters in my dog's spirit is me and my girlfriend. He hates being away from us and loves patrolling our home, keeping everything in order and safe. Given the choice to leave, he would never take it.

If you get a male dog then get it de-sexed. It results in a well mannered dog, and also means you don't have to stare at his swinging ballbag every time you take him for a walk. Yuck.

My father had 2 dogs when I was back home, first a pure breed Collie and after that a half-blood Siberian husky mixed with Collie. Both of them were easy to bring up, very disciplined and perfect guard dogs. Both of them amazing dogs but I think the half-blood was smarter than the pure breed. The guy could open a sliding door without having anyone of us teaching him how to do it. He also used to leave his dog house when I was sleeping and stayed in front of my bedroom door till I wake up and didn’t let anyone in.

6 or 7 years old, there abouts. This weekend he visits Germany for the first time and a week after that will move to Paris and live there for the rest of the year.

Sydney, Tokyo, London, Milan, Paris, Chamonix, 2500m swiss peaks etc etc. Not bad for a dog.

He speaks all languages. I think he likes the mountain areas the best, although he loved cruising around London on the Tube and the Heath/commons etc. British dogs are also very well behaved and so he had a good time meeting other muts. Unfortunately he was constantly harassed and raped by Italian dogs, so had a troubled time there. The moment we went to the park every dog in sight would hone in and tail-gate him the entire time. Once he was extremely popular and was pack raped. It was like Italian gay dog bukake. Very disturbing and messy.

Umeboshi - I cant and neither can he.

Dogs in Japan: reminds me of the time I saw a socially responsible dog owner in Tokyo quite correctly collecting the poo after his dog. It was only a small dog and so the poo was little. He was using chopsticks(!!!!!) to pick it up and put it in the plastic bag. Soem people.

He sounds like a great little doggy. He must have a lot of stories.

I'm sorry to hear about his rough experience at the hands (and other parts) of nasty Italians. Did he recover from that?

Quoting Le spud: "If you get a male dog then get it de-sexed. It results in a well mannered dog, and also means you don't have to stare at his swinging ballbag every time you take him for a walk. Yuck."

Yeh that's one way of looking at it le spud. But if you're a guy, you have a ballsack right? How would you feel if someone cut that off? Not good, right? You should be able to sympathise with those poor guys...

And if you're a girl, you shouldn't have any problem with a swinging sack in front of you...

Would probably be a good idea to "de-sex" a female one too unless you want all the male dogs in the area trying to get into your house for a few days each month, and to have a few more days each month with your dog confined to one room with the floor covered in newspaper.

Quote:
Originally posted by snosurf:
Quoting Le spud: "If you get a male dog then get it de-sexed. It results in a well mannered dog, and also means you don't have to stare at his swinging ballbag every time you take him for a walk. Yuck."

Yeh that's one way of looking at it le spud. But if you're a guy, you have a ballsack right? How would you feel if someone cut that off? Not good, right? You should be able to sympathise with those poor guys...

And if you're a girl, you shouldn't have any problem with a swinging sack in front of you...
Strange how in this modern age "men" still generate a self perception that is inseparable from their regard for their balls (and dick). You probably think your old fella is your greatest asset as well? It makes me laugh how "men" cant lob the nut of a dog as it somehow reduces their own manliness. No wonder Australia suffers from the chronic social problem of pet dogs mauling and sometimes killing little children, after all, look at the "men" that own these dogs.

He is a dog, he doesn't need testicles and is a nicer animal without them. So remove them. The fact that I myself have a pair does not in any way stand as an argument as to why my dog should keep his. How primitive. I pity the minority of thinking women in Australia.

As a man I have more to offer the world than my ball bag. It seems you can not say the same.

Oh, and I am not so sure that girls are happy to gaze at a dog's nut bag as you suggest. Perhaps your girlfriend likes it, if so, you probably suit each other.